New Guy with the crownie!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy with the crownie!!

I just put a deposit down on my first boat ever. Im 35 and have been dreaming of owning a nice 20’ bowrider for a long time. Its an older 2003 202 BR with Volvo 5.0 EFI. Im looking for a little bit more info on volvo engine packages that were installed in the 2003 202BR. Im not sure if its a GI or GXI. I have been around boats and boating my whole life as my parents and in laws have boats. I am super excited to pick this boat up in a couple weeks. My kids are old enough now 5 and 7, So I could justify having the boat and actually using it. Let me know if any of you have had one of these 2003s or still do. I’m from SE Wisconsin and just love to be on the water!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Also looking for recommendations on adding bow cushions that were not included and a new bimini. Thanks!

Comment

Welcome from Woodridge, Illinois. The Bow Filler Cushions are hard to find, but they aren't hard to make. Bald Mike can set you up with a Bimini and cover, just click on the boating above.
      1999 CL 182 LPX - Solid Onyx - Tweaked 5.0 EFI, 19P Rev 4, Smart Tabs,
      Drive Shower & Wireless Remote Trim
      Schlepped by 2017 Dodge Durango Citadel HEMI
      Daily driver - '92 Corvette Convertible - Blackrose/Lt. Grey - 6 Speed. (sold)
      My New GSD Project - Winsome's Bearfoot Journey aka "Journey"

Comment

from S. Carolina. We loved our 202br for 13 seasons and also loved having the bow filler cushions. Never took them out. Great place for the koddo's to hang out.
        MISS "B" HAVEN

2007 Mastercraft X2, Indmar 350 MCX, 350 hp V-Drive (SOLD 8/12/16)

Previous boat (1999-2011) : 1999 202BR Carbed 5.7, 250HP, Alpha 1, 17P Rev 4

Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel

Comment

Congratulations on the new boat! I am on the search right now up in Minnesota. Enjoy the new toy, she's pretty!

Comment

Congrats and welcome!
            Crownline 235 SS LPX 502

Comment

Where in Wisconsin are you?
              Send pictures of the engine cover. Or look down by the water hoses going to the water pump area. There is a tag there with all of your engine info. Also word of advise as it's a easy thing to change on a Volvo is change that impeller before you put it in the water. That way you know when it's been done and you don't overheat out on the lake and have to go fishing for rubber impeller pieces in your engine. Welcome
              I had a 202 also. Depending on how big of a lake your on it can be a wet boat and ride a bit hard.
              03 Cobalt 220 8.1gxi 420 9/20/16
              03 Cobalt 220 8.1gi 375 3/16 sold 9/16 "Always for Sale"
              Cobalt 220 5.7gxi 320 10/19/15 sold 2/16
              2004 Cobalt 200 350 mag. "Kids in Tow" 4/30/15 sold 10/8/15
              Clifford Sold 3/7/15 1999 Crownline 202
              350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
              Alpha One 1.47 Drive shower
              17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura
              Towed by 2010 Chevrolet Suburban 75th Diamond Edition.

Comment

Welcome from San Diego!
                Carlsbad, California
                Current Boat: 2015 Formula 350 CBR
                Previous Boat: 2009 Crownline 252 EX
                Vehicle: 2018 Chevy Bolt

Comment

Originally posted by ~Chad~ View Post
                  Where in Wisconsin are you?
                  Send pictures of the engine cover. Or look down by the water hoses going to the water pump area. There is a tag there with all of your engine info. Also word of advise as it's a easy thing to change on a Volvo is change that impeller before you put it in the water. That way you know when it's been done and you don't overheat out on the lake and have to go fishing for rubber impeller pieces in your engine. Welcome
                  I had a 202 also. Depending on how big of a lake your on it can be a wet boat and ride a bit hard.
                  I live in Muskego WI. It will primarily be trailered to smaller lakes around Waukesha Co. but sometimes head out to a little larger body like Lake Geneva and Castle Rock Lake. I grew up in Oconomowoc so we had many days on the lake! I like spending some time on Okauchee. Im hoping it will handle the chop better than my inlaws 180 Bayliner on Castle Rock. The photo I have of the Engine bay has the throttle body cover removed unfortunately, so no Gi or GXi ID. I just didn't know if Crownline offered both the GI and GXi in the 202BR in the 2003 model year. From what I have seen on Volvos side the Gi was gone at the end of 02 but I could be mistaken. I guess the big difference would be 20HP right. My goal when I pick this boat up in a couple weeks is to go through everything as a baseline like you mentioned, replace impeller, fuel filter and so on. I dont have much history other than the inspection done by the marina since it was a trade in. Boat has averaged around 30-35 hours a year. They lake tested everything as well but I need to jump in and make sure all is well. I do not have much experience with Volvo powertrains, Ive only been in one boat with a Volvo. I will be taking it out for sea trial on the 15th and if all if well she will be coming home with me. Do you replace the impeller each year on the Volvo as a preventative or every other year or do you go off of hours used?

Comment

20160925_194851.jpg Ok post the picture you have of the throttle body. Sounds like a GI. Yes 20hp but it is more than just that. Is it a single prop sx drive? Volvo is very good. No worries. Impeller is very easy and cheap to do so it's up to you but no longer than every other year. Drive oil is easy to do. Watch utube vids. If it's douprop you need a special prop wrench. Here is my engine I'd tag you will need to find it on yours. Will it drive better than the Bayliner yes. But you will get wet. You've been warned. That plus other reasons is why I switched to a cobalt 200 and then a 220.
                    350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
                    17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura

Comment

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"large","data-attachmentid":592235[/ATTACH] Ok post the picture you have of the throttle body. Sounds like a GI. Yes 20hp but it is more than just that. Is it a single prop sx drive? Volvo is very good. No worries. Impeller is very easy and cheap to do so it's up to you but no longer than every other year. Drive oil is easy to do. Watch utube vids. If it's douprop you need a special prop wrench. Here is my engine I'd tag you will need to find it on yours. Will it drive better than the Bayliner yes. But you will get wet. You've been warned. That plus other reasons is why I switched to a cobalt 200 and then a 220.
                      Here is a picture of the engine. Looks like a GXi but not sure how similar they look to a Gi. Single prop SX outdrive.
                      Attached Files

Comment

That's a gxi Screenshot_20200429-203911_eBay.jpg
                        Attached Files
                        350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
                        17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura

Comment

That's a gxi [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"large","data-attachmentid":592248[/ATTACH]
                          Thanks Chad. I will report back when sea trail is done and how everything went. I Will be looking for recommendations on an anchor to use that fits in the front locker too.

Comment

Welcome from below da' Cheddar curtain.
                            2012 18SS with a .75 V8
                            (Jarhead Therapy)
                            Home Turf; Fox Chain of Lakes
                            2017 Tundra 4x4
                            Lakemoor Illinois
                            Curator of worthless input

Comment

Welcome from TN
                              2005 Crownline 216LS. "At-Risk Behavior"
                              350 MAG MPI & Bravo III