Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member from Minnesota on the hunt for my first Crownline

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen!

New member here from the Twin Cities (Minnesota). I am finally on the hunt for my first boat! It has been a long journey trying to do this "adulting" thing right. First a buying a house, then getting myself an adult truck (low mileage 2015 F150 Platinum 5.0 V8 from a big lifted 2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins I sold with 212K miles). Finally onto my dream now of buying a boat which I REALLY wanted to do before the house but like I said... trying to be a responsible adult.

Growing up my Parents had a '89 bayliner capri 18' then upgraded to a 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2100 Merc 350mag and our family friends and boating partners had a 2000 Crownline 202 BR Merc 5.0L both with alpha one outdrives. I guess you could say I grew up a little spoiled being around two top notch boats. While both were always head turners at the local lake, I absolutely loved the sporty and aggressive look of the Crownline while the Ebbtide had an elegant look closer to that of a Cobalt. On the inside, the Crownline had a sleeker, sportier and more modern appearance with bright white upholstery and carbon accents while the Ebbtide was a bit more "sophisticated" and "classy" with the cream upholstery, ripples on the edge of the seat and woodgrain accents. The Ebbtide was always a hair faster than the Crownline due to the bigger, more powerful motor. I tried buying the Ebbtide a few years back but my stepfather gifted it to my stepbrother because he has kids and wanted them to experience boating as children like we did growing up. I was a little pissed but it is what it is... Moving on to today, I am looking to get one of my own but hoping to get the best of both worlds with the looks of the Crownline combined with the bigger engine option.

I almost pulled the trigger 5 years ago to this week on a yellow Crownline 202LPX w/350 mag from out in California but had some personal issues arise and had to back down. 5 years later I am entering the market again under much more stable circumstances. I have my search narrowed down, for the most part. I am looking to spend 20-25k but could stretch up to 30k for the right boat. One of, if not my top priority is going to be performance and fun to drive. There will be watersports involved as well as some cruising and all the other typical lake activites. I am single with no kids for now but hopefully that will change in the next 5-10 years (I'm 29). I have a pretty solid list made up but would love to hear if anyone has any recommendations or other things to consider as I am just starting this journey. I know it is not the ideal time of year to be buying but I am going to start now try my best to be patient so I can find "the one" by next spring. When it comes to the LPX models, in order of preference is white, black, yellow, red. I am not stuck on the LPX but I absolutely love the look of the white and they seem to typically be fitted with the larger motors and captains call exhaust which are two priorities on my list. I am currently leaning towards a 202 or 21ss just for the lower cost factor and for the fact that I do not see my "needing" the 23' anytime soon. But at the same time, I will not turn my head from the larger 23' if outfitted with a 496 in good shape for a reasonable price(hence the budget stretch to 30k for a nice 23' or newer 21ss). As of now I will not settle on anything smaller than a 202/21 with a 350mag and I do not have any need or want for a wake tower. I live 10 minutes from the St. Croix/Mississippi River so that is one area where the larger boat would have an advantage but I hope and plan to do most of my boating on smaller, inland lakes here in MN. I was planning to post in the "wanted" section but I do not have the post count to do so, yet. There are a few other boats I am considering as well, I want to get the most for my money on this purchase and if I come across the right one, for the right price, I may pull the trigger. The biggest things as you all know is that I want a boat that has been taken care of and is going to be as reliable as possible. As for trailers, I would prefer a Heritage, Prestige or Eagle tandem axle.

As mentioned, I would love to hear any and all pieces of advice as well as things to consider on this, even if they are opinions, I would love to hear them. You seem to have a wonderful community here and I am glad to be apart of it!

My current "Watch List": looking to spend 20-25k but willing to stretch to 30k for the right boat (bigger, newer, well maintained)
    1. 202BR/21ss w/ 350mag or 6.2L White or Black LPX preferred, may settle for yellow. Also, definitely not opposed to the "standard" models with checkered graphics.
    2. 225BR/23ss w/496mag or 496mag HO. White or Black LPX preferred, may settle for yellow. Also, definitely not opposed to the "standard" models with checkered graphics.
    3. Baja Marine 232 Islander w/ 496mag or 496mag HO.
    4. Cobalt 226 w/496mag or 496mag HO (I really like the look of the 226 for the Cobalt lineup)
    5. Still trying to differentiate the cobalt +/-21' Cobalt models of the mid 2000's but if it were a 21', I would want the 350mag or 6.2L

I look forward to your feedback. Also, should I put this in the General Boating section? I was not sure if this was more applicable to that or in the newbie section so here we are.
    Last edited by Clarity42; 07-07-2019, 10:33 PM. Reason: Grammar

Welcome to the forum Clarity! Sounds like you have a good list and also sounds like you have your priorities in the correct order. Good luck with the hunt, and I'm sure if your patient, you will find something that you like. Enjoy the forum, it's got a lot of great info and good people!

Comment

Welcome aboard Clarity from Woodridge, Illinois. I would start off with our forum administrator, Bald Mike, boats and boat stuff is his business. He has really quality boats. Boat shopping is always fun stuff. Good luck and I hope you find exactly what you're looking for before the end this year's season.
      1999 CL 182 LPX - Solid Onyx - Tweaked 5.0 EFI, 19P Rev 4, Smart Tabs,
      Drive Shower & Wireless Remote Trim
      Schlepped by 2017 Dodge Durango Citadel HEMI
      Daily driver - '92 Corvette Convertible - Blackrose/Lt. Grey - 6 Speed. (sold)
      My New GSD Project - Winsome's Bearfoot Journey aka "Journey"

Comment

from S. Carolina. Good luck with the search...………...
        MISS "B" HAVEN

2007 Mastercraft X2, Indmar 350 MCX, 350 hp V-Drive (SOLD 8/12/16)

Previous boat (1999-2011) : 1999 202BR Carbed 5.7, 250HP, Alpha 1, 17P Rev 4

Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel

Comment

Good luck with the search, I think you have the budget for a nice boat. Bigger motor is always good. Captains call was high on my list but I found the right boat without it and am OK with the decision. Those with it can chime in as to how much they really use it.
          Jim Baygents
          Table Rock Lake
          1998 CL 266 BR 7.4
          Swim Platforms installed 2017
          1993 CL 182 BR 5.0 LX Sold 2/1/17

Comment

On, all the time, little boat, loud noise.
            1999 CL 182 LPX - Solid Onyx - Tweaked 5.0 EFI, 19P Rev 4, Smart Tabs,
            Drive Shower & Wireless Remote Trim
            Schlepped by 2017 Dodge Durango Citadel HEMI
            Daily driver - '92 Corvette Convertible - Blackrose/Lt. Grey - 6 Speed. (sold)
            My New GSD Project - Winsome's Bearfoot Journey aka "Journey"

Comment

Good luck with the search from San Diego!
              Carlsbad, California
              Current Boat: 2015 Formula 350 CBR
              Previous Boat: 2009 Crownline 252 EX
              Vehicle: 2018 Chevy Bolt

Comment

Hello from fellow minnesotan! (Prior lake and St croix mostly) Good luck in the hunt boats with bigger motors are getting to be rare. I troll craigslist a-lot. I will post up a link if i see any candidates.
                2006 Crownline 180 BR
                4.3 L MerCruiser Alpha One 1.81
                Prestige trailer
                Platform by: Swimplatform.com
                19P Rev 4 SS Prop

Comment

Welcome from Iowa.....I'll keep an eye on things down here and let you know if I run across something that you might like.
                  2018 Crownline E4 6.2L Bravo III
                  2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71

Comment

Thank you for all the replies and good wishes! I really appreciate you guys keeping an eye out! I have yet to find a way to scan craigslist across the country. Regarding the CC, I'm sure I could survive without it if I found the right boat. I can't say it is a necessity but high up on the list of wants. I found a nice 2006 202 LPX in Bay City, Michigan. Yellow 6.2L with the Bravo 1 for 25k. I believe it has 300hrs and a matching prestige trailer. Salesman I talked to on the phone said it was immaculate besides two tears on the headrests of the sundeck. I'm tempted because the 202/6.2L/Bravo 1/300hrs is perfect but I think it is a bit early to settle from what I really want (white/black LPX or non LPX in black, blue, burgundy, tan) and the discoloration/tears on the sundeck are concerning. I have a friend that goes to Bay City on occasion and might check it out when she gets a chance.

Mark-P, how do you like prior lake? I grew up boating in the far north suburbs of St. Francis on Lake George. I'm in Woodbury now and really not familiar with the local lakes of the south suburbs and will be doing my best to avoid the river.

Comment

For your Craigslist search...

“Crownline” “LPX” site:craigslist.org
                      Crownline 235 SS LPX 502

Comment

Once you go black....😉

Welcome from Colorado.
                        2014 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV with 450 HP LS3
                        2004 Crownline 216 LS 350 Mag BIII "All Paws on Deck" - SOLD with 685 Hours on the clock!
                        2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn
                        2007 Lund 1660 Sport

Comment

Prior lake is good for what we use it for. Sunning cruising the shore and looking at houses. Tough to get on. 20 spots at the boat ramp so never plan on that. Tons of boats now.
                          2006 Crownline 180 BR
                          4.3 L MerCruiser Alpha One 1.81
                          Prestige trailer
                          Platform by: Swimplatform.com
                          19P Rev 4 SS Prop

Comment

Working...
                          X