Looking for Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Advice

Hello. I'm looking at purchasing this boat. Can you please tell me what to look for when I go take a look at it this weekend. It's a 1993 250CR 1050 hrs on the 7.4L. Comes with trailer. They are asking $8700. What should I offer?

Previously owned a 1976 Sear Ray SV220 overnighter. Looking to step back into the boat game. This seems nice but I have a feeling that you'll steer me in the right direction to see what to look out for.

Thank you in advance!!

and the old boat to reminiscence

Look for / feel for rot. Crownline didn't got to Marine Grade plywood until later on I think so I'd be all over that thing looking for rot in the floor and stringers. Check the motor mounts and that entire area. You also need to get the transom inspected to make sure there hasn't been any water intrusion.

Beyond that, not sure but some of the gear heads will surely chime in. $8700 seems steep to me for a boat that old.
    2011 Cobalt 262 with Mercruiser 8.2L and BIII
    ----

Click Here to Donate to CrownieHQ

Comment

They used "Marine Grade", but not XL Treated. XL is more for resistant, but not for proof. All depends on how boat was cared for. If kept in the water, has a good chance of water intrusion. Best to consider bringing someone knowledgeable a long. Would be worth paying a Marine Surveyor for this one, as transom and stringer repair would exceed the purchase price.
      If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!

"A man's success is measured by his ability to own a boat who's length is equal to or in excess of his age"

PowerQuest 380 Avenger

Comment

From the photos, it looks like a nice boat to me.

I agree on checking for soft spots.

Price seems reasonable, but every market is different.

Welcome from Colorado.
        2014 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV with 450 HP LS3
        2004 Crownline 216 LS 350 Mag BIII "All Paws on Deck" - SOLD with 685 Hours on the clock!
        2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn
        2007 Lund 1660 Sport

Comment

XL wood started in 1998 models...........

from Oregon...........
          MISS "B" HAVEN

2007 Mastercraft X2, Indmar 350 MCX, 350 hp V-Drive (SOLD 8/12/16)

Previous boat (1999-2011) : 1999 202BR Carbed 5.7, 250HP, Alpha 1, 17P Rev 4

Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel

Comment

The floor in the cabin was spongy and the bulkhead in front of the motor had rot. I’m thinking bail. Thoughts?

Comment

New floor and stringers is not a task I would want to undertake. Plenty of nice boats out there that don't need that type of work done.
              2014 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV with 450 HP LS3
              2004 Crownline 216 LS 350 Mag BIII "All Paws on Deck" - SOLD with 685 Hours on the clock!
              2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn
              2007 Lund 1660 Sport

Comment

Absolutely Bail.
                Tell me asshole - What's your fair share of everything I've worked for??? Please join me in starving and beating the govt back to it's honeymoon physique.

2000 Formula 260SS 502 Mag B3
                2003 Suburban 2500 8.1L
                2011 Honda Civic w/1.8L
                2017 Honda Civic w/1.5L

Comment

Bail
                  2011 Cobalt 262 with Mercruiser 8.2L and BIII
                  ----

Click Here to Donate to CrownieHQ

Comment

Thank you all. You’re a good group!!

Comment