Low Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Trailer

I have a 1998 225BR that is sitting on the factory 1998 trailer. It is a Heritage. The tires are a 205/75x14 and the trailer tag says 215/75x14. Currently the tires are abot to rub the fenders. If I put my hand inside the fender there is probably 1-2 inches max from tire top to fender. The sides do touch the tire some on big bumps. The back of the trailer, furthest back steel structure under the boat sits about4 inches off the ground with the trailer level. I am a bit concerned not only with tire rub but also with possible out drive scraping and hilly drives. I am not sure if the springs are just worn out and new ones would give me better tire clearance and ground clearance or if I should just put the axles under the springs and gain 3-4 inches. I want to put new larger wheels and tires on it. Would like to step up to 17' wheels and get better rated tires. I know I can mix profiles to get the same overall OD but the trailer still seems kind wrong for me. Any suggestions? How much ground clearance does your trailer have, what about you skeg? Anyone flipped an axle for more clearance, did you have a problem loading or unloading the boat? Increased trailer sway or any other negative issues?
    "Blown Money"
    1998 Crownline Whipple Charged 454 Mag MPI with heads and cam 750hp. IMCO drive and hydraulic steering.

Currently towed by a 2011 Supercharged Range Rover Sport with exhaust and supercharger pulley.

Zfrilly, you posted many questions, would it be possible to post photos with your queries? It would sure help to return better accuracy.
    1999 CL 182 LPX - Solid Onyx - Tweaked 5.0 EFI, 19P Rev 4, Smart Tabs,
    Drive Shower & Wireless Remote Trim
    Schlepped by 2017 Dodge Durango Citadel HEMI
    Daily driver - '92 Corvette Convertible - Blackrose/Lt. Grey - 6 Speed. (sold)
    My New GSD Project - Winsome's Bearfoot Journey aka "Journey"

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 4 photos.
      "Blown Money"
      1998 Crownline Whipple Charged 454 Mag MPI with heads and cam 750hp. IMCO drive and hydraulic steering.

Currently towed by a 2011 Supercharged Range Rover Sport with exhaust and supercharger pulley.

Comment

Sorry though I posted a response as well as pics. You can see in the first pic the tire is nearly touch the sides of the fenders and does rub on big bumps. The second pic shows how close the tires are vertically to the fenders. There is probably 1-2 inches between the tires and fender. The third pic gives an idea as to how close the rear of the trailer is to the ground. I have about 4 inches of ground clearance from the steel to the ground. The last pic shows how close it puts the skeg to the ground. I am not able to use trailer trim due to the stern-jack so I am sure that doesn't help. Either way, I would think this trailer has worn out springs or something else amiss. The tires are currently undersized from the manufacturer tag, I am sure if I went the 10mil wider it would be more of a problem. I cannot say 100% they are original wheels, but do thinks its a safe assumption. I would like to update the look and safety by going to a 17" wheel and lower profile tire. It would come out to the same diameter as stock, but currently the stock setup seems unsafe! I would think I can move the axle below the springs or maybe just get new springs. Is this how it should look, or should I have more room for the tires and ground clearance out back?
        "Blown Money"

Comment

Looks like torsion axles on the trailer. Mine sits pretty close too. They do not move up and down as much as leafs.
          2006 Crownline 180 BR
          4.3 L MerCruiser Alpha One 1.81
          Prestige trailer
          Platform by: Swimplatform.com
          19P Rev 4 SS Prop

Comment

Square axles on top of leaf springs, not torsion
            "Blown Money"

Comment

It appears that the wheel/tire is outside the fender, it might be the way the photo was taken, but the wheel should fit within the fender, this could be corrected by wheels with the proper offset. If you are planning on updating the trailer, wheels are #1. If the axle is mounted on top of the leaf springs, that is correct. It appears the transom is a busy place, installing Trim Tabs and a Swim Platform might be a challenge.
              1999 CL 182 LPX - Solid Onyx - Tweaked 5.0 EFI, 19P Rev 4, Smart Tabs,
              Drive Shower & Wireless Remote Trim
              Schlepped by 2017 Dodge Durango Citadel HEMI
              Daily driver - '92 Corvette Convertible - Blackrose/Lt. Grey - 6 Speed. (sold)
              My New GSD Project - Winsome's Bearfoot Journey aka "Journey"

Comment

Instllin trim tabs and a platform is going to definitely be a challenge, but I think do-able. Not sure if the wheels are stock or not, they do seem to stick out some, but there isn't much room on the inside either. The tires are narrower than the trailer tag states. Would worn leaf springs do this? They are probably 22 years old and the boat was on the trailer most of those years.
                "Blown Money"

Comment

Yea pretty sure those are the stk rims. Yes weak springs can cause it to sit lower.
                  03 Cobalt 220 8.1gxi 420 9/20/16
                  03 Cobalt 220 8.1gi 375 3/16 sold 9/16 "Always for Sale"
                  Cobalt 220 5.7gxi 320 10/19/15 sold 2/16
                  2004 Cobalt 200 350 mag. "Kids in Tow" 4/30/15 sold 10/8/15
                  Clifford Sold 3/7/15 1999 Crownline 202
                  350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
                  Alpha One 1.47 Drive shower
                  17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura
                  Towed by 2010 Chevrolet Suburban 75th Diamond Edition.

Comment

Maybe I will start with new springs, fairly cheap. Has anyone here move the axle to under the springs? Any reason it would be a problem with loading and unloading the boat, probably about 4 inches higher? How much clearance should I have with the stock setup between the tires and fenders, both vertically and side to side?
                    "Blown Money"

Comment

Currently the springs are 27 1/4 inches eye to eye. They make 27 inch springs. If they have flattened out over time, how do I determine the correct length? Could they be as short as 25 to start and have flattened to 27 1/4, or is the 1/4 probably all that flattened out?
                      "Blown Money"

Comment

Heritage is still in business. Try contacting Heritage with the VIN and see if they can supply you with new springs. I have bought some stuff from them so I know they have a parts department that will sell parts. https://www.heritagetrailers.com/
                        2002 Crownline 230BR, MX6.2, BIII, Prestige trailer, drug by a 2001 2500HD ext. cab 4x4

Comment

We have a `04 230 BR with a 496 on a`05 Tennessee trailer with 205x75x14 tires.Yes, there is only about 2 inches of clearance between tire and fender .We haven't had a problem. The lip on the fender does look like it would be close to the sidewall if it bottomed out. There is 9 inches of clearance at the low point of the rear cross member {trailer being level}. This trailer was designed for this boat and I believe the equalizers tying the springs together may justify the minimal clearance.Mind you, I'm not a trailer or suspension engineer.The trailer was also brand new.

Comment

Thanks for the measurements and ideas on where other trailers are sitting.
                            "Blown Money"

Comment

Working...
                            X