Painting and restoring a trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting and restoring a trailer

Was heading to the river Saturday and a road that has been blacktop is now covered in gravel. The gravel sandblasted my trailer pretty severely. Although the trailer is 17 years old, it has very little rust and everything functions as it shold, so a new trailer really doesn't make sense. Up until Saturday, the trailer had minimal scratches. So, looking into having it repainted to match factory color, new bunks, and new pinstripe graphics. For this type of work, what can I expect as a budget? Anyone know of a place that does this type of work in the Chicago area?

Bald Mike - you've had trailers repainted, what's your experience with getting this type of work done?
    2002 Crownline 230BR, MX6.2, BIII, Prestige trailer, drug by a 2001 2500HD ext. cab 4x4

I've always done it myself. Sand paper and rattle cans baby...……..
    MISS "B" HAVEN

2007 Mastercraft X2, Indmar 350 MCX, 350 hp V-Drive (SOLD 8/12/16)

Previous boat (1999-2011) : 1999 202BR Carbed 5.7, 250HP, Alpha 1, 17P Rev 4

Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel

Comment

As hands on and mechanical as you are, I'm surprised you aren't gonna tackle it yourself.
      2008 Sea Ray 270SLX
      2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison
      2006 KZ Jag 32JSS

Comment

Jeff, I used to be able to do some painting on cars years ago, but a job like this, I'm not willing to take on, nor do I have a place to do the work or the time, let alone finding a place to store the boat on stands. My research is has bids for just a media blast, paint, and re-assembly as needed is $2,400 to $3,000 estimate which does not include new bunks or vinyl graphics.. It's also time for tires which pushes the price towards $4,000 including vinyl graphics and bunks to invest into a 17 year old trailer. Granted all functions mechanically and the only real rust is at the drain holes, for a couple thousand more, I could just get a new custom trailer, which is what I am researching now for price. I have inquired about a Eagle, Phoenix, and Heritage trailer. I will either sell or part out and scrap the old trailer.
        2002 Crownline 230BR, MX6.2, BIII, Prestige trailer, drug by a 2001 2500HD ext. cab 4x4

Comment

Randy my opinion is if youre really looking to go that far into it Id go the new trailer route. It seems like its not that tough to sell used boat trailers and you may be able to get into a new one for not a whole lot of extra money. You should have no problem getting $1500 or more for your trailer as it sits?
          Baja 232 Islander

Comment

Brody, that's my thought too. I am getting numbers on new trailers now.

Comment

Talk to Bald Mike. He could get you an Eagle trailer.
              Mark Swenson
              2005 Crownline 202 BR w/ 5.0 MPI

....We are ALL a little CRAZY, some of us just show it more than others !!!....

Comment

Already sent Bald Mike a PM with specs for a trailer. Just waiting on a response. Although one issue is that at least Heritage is currently shut down for a summer shut down, so the 2020 model year is just around the corner.

Comment

I remember years ago Byron Winn did that type of work with Prestige. Even remember thinking to myself what a steal the pricing was. It doesn’t seem to be that way anymore.

Id have a hard time spending that much money on a boat trailer but would be torn as I also like things to look nice. Tough call as you aren’t likely to get any more out of it when the boat is inevitably sold.

Goos luck with your decision.
                  2014 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV with 450 HP LS3
                  2004 Crownline 216 LS 350 Mag BIII "All Paws on Deck" - SOLD with 685 Hours on the clock!
                  2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn
                  2007 Lund 1660 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Swenson View Post
                    Talk to Bald Mike. He could get you an Eagle trailer.
                    I don't think Mike is selling trailers anymore. Eagle is not selling to us normal folk anymore. Only sell to manufactures I believe.
                    03 Cobalt 220 8.1gxi 420 9/20/16
                    03 Cobalt 220 8.1gi 375 3/16 sold 9/16 "Always for Sale"
                    Cobalt 220 5.7gxi 320 10/19/15 sold 2/16
                    2004 Cobalt 200 350 mag. "Kids in Tow" 4/30/15 sold 10/8/15
                    Clifford Sold 3/7/15 1999 Crownline 202
                    350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
                    Alpha One 1.47 Drive shower
                    17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura
                    Towed by 2010 Chevrolet Suburban 75th Diamond Edition.

Comment

HMMMM ... News to me. I recall something like that with regard to Heritage trailers.
                      Mark Swenson
                      2005 Crownline 202 BR w/ 5.0 MPI

....We are ALL a little CRAZY, some of us just show it more than others !!!....

Comment

I know Mike switched from Heritage to Eagle trailers a few years back because other Heritage dealers put up a stink to Heritage.

I have a quote from my original boat dealer coming in on a Phoenix trailer and a quote from another dealer coming in for a Heritage trailer. Honestly, based on my on-line review, I am leaning towards the Phoenix trailer. I found a few dealers who carry Phoenix, but had a hard time finding a Heritage dealer which I thought was strange. I haven't seen many newer Eagle trailers in this area for quite some time, so maybe Eagle has chosen to be more regional .

Anyone have any experience with a Phoenix trailer? The founder used to work for Eagle for a number of years before leaving and starting his own company.
                        Last edited by Randy Andersen; 08-02-2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X