Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• westcoast
    replied
    wow Im suprised how many people work for att here.

Leave a comment:

• Tony Turnlund
    replied
    A couple of weeks ago they announced a 500+ person surplus in our local's construction and splicing department. The contract language places these guys in the same "pot" as our department, so it's a wait and see game as to who is gonna bump who. Not a good time to have less that 10 years in with AT&T in this area...unless you want to be a prem tech.

Leave a comment:

• Paul
    replied
    It's a shame the people in the field who do the actual work that always seem to get hosed.

Leave a comment:

• westcoast
    replied
    Originally posted by Randy Brooks View Post
    Are you speaking spanish or something......

must be tech speak...........

actually according to the vp's and up we are all knucke draggers and dont know how to speak....

Leave a comment:

• Paul
    replied
    Originally posted by Randy Brooks View Post

I know how you feel

My sister works for AT&T and every time I ask her to explain exactly what she does, I get acronyms one after the other. Earlier in her career it was something to to with "data switches" and "cuts" that have to be done in the middle of the night. Now it's "project roll outs" whatever the F that means. I do know she has survived several layoffs over the past years where her boss was let go and she managed to stay on. Crazy part is she's a masters degree from Northwestern and they had her driving around in trucks installing U-verse equipment with disgruntled work crew's learning their job in case they went on strike. Weird stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Alden and Tiffini Powell
    replied
    I have to wonder how they can sell off the copper when it goes to the central office through the same manholes and trenches as fiber. I see them leasing them out and not selling them. The plans I am seeing for the CO's is for them to retrofit them for U-verse and expansion of our colocators (hence our leasing)

I also look at a reversal in the trend of landlines in the next couple of years bringing us back into a stronger foothold. No matter how good cellular and wireless gets, nothing is as truly reliable as copper lines.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B
    replied
    Originally posted by westcoast View Post
    Over here the prem techs are doing the work of cpe techs for over 12 less per hour right now. The rumor mill has it that Att is trying to combine the outside techs into one position and ramp up the use of contractors and term (1-4 months) employees until the puc will ok the sale of the copper side of the house. It's no secret the copper is no longer a money maker for the company so that's why they are trying to do what they can to force people out. Att only wants to hold on to the wireless and fiber side of the house.
    Sounds like what Cincinnati Bell is doing. They are really pushing the wireless and fiber and trying to position the wire side to sell it off. Nothing official, but the writing is very clearly on the wall.

Leave a comment:

• Randy-X2
    replied
    Over here the prem techs are doing the work of cpe techs for over 12 less per hour right now. The rumor mill has it that Att is trying to combine the outside techs into one position and ramp up the use of contractors and term (1-4 months) employees until the puc will ok the sale of the copper side of the house. It's no secret the copper is no longer a money maker for the company so that's why they are trying to do what they can to force people out. Att only wants to hold on to the wireless and fiber side of the house.

Leave a comment:

replied
    It's very hard to move when you have a family and there was/is a lot of people affected here in Cali. I believe your job title is in real estate are there cuts on that side of the house?
    I never know, once bitten twice shy. I can say that we've been told that our positions are filled by contractors through attrition, out of the group in S. Texas over half are retiring this year. We are only getting busier and busier and even when the job goes to contract we are the first ones that the contractors want to hire on. If you ever have a chance to get into our side of the company do it.

Leave a comment:

• Boatnut
    replied
    I live in Indiana and the only way I could stay was to bump another tech with lower seniority in OH I just couldn't do that so I took layoff. I am now working for the other phone company. HEE HEE

Leave a comment:

• westcoast
    replied
    Originally posted by Alden and Tiffini Powell View Post
    I hate hearing this stuff, what I see alot of is that it turns into a force reduction and most people are moved around to other places. Follow the work if one can. Best of luck to all affected.
    It's very hard to move when you have a family and there was/is a lot of people affected here in Cali. I believe your job title is in real estate are there cuts on that side of the house?

Leave a comment:

• westcoast
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Boatnut
    replied
    I was layed off from at&t over a year ago, after 15.5 years of service as a CPE tech from the old SBC DataComm. I just don't think they wanted to sell that type of business any longer, at least that was the thoughts we tech's had. I am now working for Verizon doing the same thing I was for at&t and it is getting to look the same way for this company. This is just my opinion and nothing is posted anywhere to substantuate this.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I just heard the rumor that they are laying off 500 people here in Cali for ATT, I must say it used to be a good company to work for but the way it has been going latley it sucks to be a service tech or a maintence tech or even a prem tech... what ever happened to this company...
    I hate hearing this stuff, what I see alot of is that it turns into a force reduction and most people are moved around to other places. Follow the work if one can. Best of luck to all affected.

Leave a comment:

• westcoast
    replied
    I just heard the rumor that they are laying off 500 people here in Cali for ATT, I must say it used to be a good company to work for but the way it has been going latley it sucks to be a service tech or a maintence tech or even a prem tech... what ever happened to this company...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X