Career Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career Change

I've been absent from the site for awhile due to contemplating a career change, we'll I have finally made the leap of faith. I have left the family excavating business which my father, and us two sons have built over the last 50 years, which he expected my brother and I to take over. Leaving was a extremely difficult decision and it has not set well with my father, but this was also an attempt to finally let him sell off and retire (75 years old). I had hoped my older brother would realize it was time for him to move on also, but he has decided to give it a run by himself with very limited business experience. I'm afraid it will now give my father additional stress that he did not need at this point in his life. Working with family is a very slippery slope.

That being said, I decided that I needed to do what was best for my own family and move on.

I am currently in Morgantown, WV in a week long training program for my new employer who is in the center of the oil & gas industry that is booming in this part of country PA, OH, WV.

I know there are a few on the site from around this area and was wondering if they have any input on my new employer (Heckman Water Resources) they are very visible in the area. I'm looking forward to the role and am ready to get started.

I should be able to spend more time now with the family and enjoy the kids while they're still young. I will actually have regular scheduled hours which were never an option while trying to run my own business.

Sorry so long winded but I have the time to kill and just needed to vent a little.
    Current:2001 Monterey 282 CR Twin Merc 5.0L, B3's
    Previous:1995 Crownline 225 CCR

Well by golly we need to meet for a drink. PM me your phone number and I will give you a call if you are interested.

Comment

Sounds like a big change. Hope all goes well. Life is WAY too short for work to be something you don't enjoy.
      2014 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV with 450 HP LS3
      2004 Crownline 216 LS 350 Mag BIII "All Paws on Deck" - SOLD with 685 Hours on the clock!
      2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn
      2007 Lund 1660 Sport

Comment

Good for you, I understand the stress of a family business.
        1999 CL 182 LPX - Solid Onyx - Tweaked 5.0 EFI, 19P Rev 4, Smart Tabs,
        Drive Shower & Wireless Remote Trim
        Schlepped by 2017 Dodge Durango Citadel HEMI
        Daily driver - '92 Corvette Convertible - Blackrose/Lt. Grey - 6 Speed. (sold)
        My New GSD Project - Winsome's Bearfoot Journey aka "Journey"

Comment

Originally posted by Bob225 View Post
          Well by golly we need to meet for a drink. PM me your phone number and I will give you a call if you are interested.
          PM sent Bob. ...........I think I did it correct ? Let me know if you received it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe M View Post
            PM sent Bob. ...........I think I did it correct ? Let me know if you received it.
            Got it. Your hotel is less than 2 miles away.

Comment

Thanks for the support fellas, I did not mind the work I was doing but sometimes the reality of todays economy takes precedent. The housing industry which we supported has really tanked in the past few years. We still had a good business but I believe the ceiling was limited in the future and not sure it is worth the stress and financial exposure.

Comment

Good luck. As much as I enjoy my career in Construction Engineering/Management, the long hours can be stressful. I am the RPR on a $15million damsite project. Items include earth dams for main lake and water quality basins, roadway bridge, paving, sanitary & storm sewer, spillway structures, paedeatrian trails and pedestrian bridges, recreational shelters, etc.

These damn dirtworkers are from out of town and want to work 14hrs/day and 7 days/week. I completely understand your desire to move on.

I am seeking a career change myself that would allow me work hours from 9:00AM to 2:00PM and a 2hr lunch!!!!!!!!!
                If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!

"A man's success is measured by his ability to own a boat who's length is equal to or in excess of his age"

PowerQuest 380 Avenger

Comment

Good luck Joe!

Sent from my DROID RAZR
                  '04 Crownline 180BR
                  Happier Hour

Comment

Good luck Joe. Enjoy the time with the family. It goes by way too fast.

---A message from Cyberdyne Systems using Tapatalk
                    2005 Crownline 216LS. "At-Risk Behavior"
                    350 MAG MPI & Bravo III
                    2012 Ram 1500 4wd Crew Cab.

Geaux Saints!!!!

Comment

Good Luck Joe...Stepping away from a family business is really hard, and sometimes you need to get out of the shadows, and control your own destiny. Hopefully your brother is a quick learner, and your father will allow you to move on without guilt. Wish you all the best!
                      Mike
                      1997 Crownline 210 CCR - fer fun
                      13 F150 Ecoboost - fer towin the fun
                      My Blog - http://boatsbeerandbbq.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks again fellas I appreciate all the support. I'm confident I've done the right thing. Good folks on this site.

Bob it was nice meeting you and I enjoyed our BS session, thanks for stopping over. Good luck on your boat search and maybe we can catch up to ya on the water someday.

Comment

Working...
                        X