Covid-19 virus??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid-19 virus??

Well, what are your thoughts and are you doing any thing to prevent contracting it?

Looking like this will be a bit overwhelming in the very near future if it isn't already fir US folks. I am starting to think of just staying home for a while which is easier to do than for some as I (and wire) are retired.

One thing that has me a concerned is a good chunk of our retirement funds are in the stock market which is being hit hard.
    MISS "B" HAVEN

2007 Mastercraft X2, Indmar 350 MCX, 350 hp V-Drive (SOLD 8/12/16)

Previous boat (1999-2011) : 1999 202BR Carbed 5.7, 250HP, Alpha 1, 17P Rev 4

Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel

This is wreaking havoc for me at work (I am the GC for a bank). My opinion is that the real risk is not the virus, but the reaction, over-reaction, panic and paralysis as a result. I am also not so worried about the stock markets as they have been completely irrational for over a decade, but I am scared shitless about the effect on the economy. And the myth of "containment" is just that.

BTW, here are a couple of interesting articles about controlling the speed of the spread as opposed to the spread itself:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/s...infection.html

https://qz.com/1816060/a-chart-of-th...tancing-works/
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

2017 E4 350hp 6.2L BIII
    2005 240EX "Chaos" (Sold)

Comment

Not doing anything out of the normal. Of all these supposed virus scares in the past such as SARS and today, I don't personally know of anyone that has contracted any of those virus's etc. Do what you can to boost your immune system - eat good food, not the processed carby crap. I think we need to be aware that the virus exists, but I also believe the media is taking advantage of this. Just like Don Henley sang, "Give us dirty laundry".
      Last edited by Randy Andersen; 03-16-2020, 08:38 AM.
      2002 Crownline 230BR, MX6.2, BIII, Prestige trailer, drug by a 2001 2500HD ext. cab 4x4

Comment

Cruising through the Caribbean working on my tan.

no one here is to excited. Sounds like the rest of the world is in a panic.

hope they let us off the ship next week.
        2006 Crownline 180 BR
        4.3 L MerCruiser Alpha One 1.81
        Prestige trailer
        Platform by: Swimplatform.com
        19P Rev 4 SS Prop

Comment

Good luck mark. Sorry but no way I'm getting on a ship. I just came back from Vegas and everyone acted normal. I was very surprised. No one doing anything special. I brought wipes me and I wiped my plane seat and area and my hotel room down and washed my hands a ton. If I played a slot it got wiped down. Work here just started to put out stuff and extra cleaning going on nonstop. My 2 cents I think it's going to get ugly.
          03 Cobalt 220 8.1gxi 420 9/20/16
          03 Cobalt 220 8.1gi 375 3/16 sold 9/16 "Always for Sale"
          Cobalt 220 5.7gxi 320 10/19/15 sold 2/16
          2004 Cobalt 200 350 mag. "Kids in Tow" 4/30/15 sold 10/8/15
          Clifford Sold 3/7/15 1999 Crownline 202
          350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
          Alpha One 1.47 Drive shower
          17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura
          Towed by 2010 Chevrolet Suburban 75th Diamond Edition.

Comment

The cruise ship always has hand sanitizer and wipes. They are more worried about the noro virus hitting a ship and have been for years.

only change is they serve you at the buffet now if you go there.

2006 Crownline 180 BR
            4.3 L MerCruiser Alpha One 1.81
            Prestige trailer
            Platform by: Swimplatform.com
            19P Rev 4 SS Prop

Comment

Originally posted by Mark-P View Post
              The cruise ship always has hand sanitizer and wipes. They are more worried about the noro virus hitting a ship and have been for years.

only change is they serve you at the buffet now if you go there.
              I would not step foot on a cruise ship right now. One person comes on with Covid-19 from an exposure before they boarded and you are all screwed - even if he infected nobody else. And by screwed, i don't mean at risk from the virus, but good luck trying to get permission to dock and disembark anywhere.
              "The problem with internet quotes is that they are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

2017 E4 350hp 6.2L BIII

Comment

Last week I made reservations for 6 flights for next week. Flew Denver to ABQ today. I wasn't worried about traveling until today really.

Airports and hotels are empty. My largest customer (60% of my sales) restricted visits. Even if I want to travel, I won't be able to see who I need to see.

Agreed that the biggest threat is what is happening to the economy. This is bad.
                2014 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV with 450 HP LS3
                2004 Crownline 216 LS 350 Mag BIII "All Paws on Deck" - SOLD with 685 Hours on the clock!
                2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn
                2007 Lund 1660 Sport

Comment

I work from home and kids are grown and out of the house but wife is a teacher so she is more exposed to the outside than me. This time of year my Tuesday night bowling league is about the extent of me getting out.

I work with a guy (never met him in person but talk to him everyday). He lives near NYC and his whole family had to get tested. The attorney in NYC that got it, well his doctors kids go to school with my co-workers kids. His whole family tested negative but still hit close to home.

I also daytrade options in the stock market so pay close attention to what is going on there. It's actually easier to make money when the market is going down but when it's this low it makes it much harder. I mean how much lower can it go? I don't think we are done dropping but it's hard to get in expecting it to go lower when it's already down 30%. It's not hard to make 50% in 5 minutes in this market but that means it's also not hard to lose 50% in 5 minutes.

Comment

It was just announced today that all the schools in Ontario will be closed for two additional weeks following March break (which is next week). Pretty crazy.
                    I too am not too concerned about contracting it but am concerned about the economic impact. My parents winter in Florida and are quite social and eat out regularly. They have decided to come home early. They also had a cruise planned for the Med in May and decided to cancel that.
                    James Young
                    1000 Islands, Ontario

2004 Crownline 202 BR
                    5.0 GXI

Comment

Well, now what? Living out in BF-SC may help us from contracting the virus, but that's about it. My retirement fund is taking a beating. Maybe no 266LTD for me this year
                      MISS "B" HAVEN

Comment

We are still working storm restoration in TN. Almost done. After this most will telework and limit meetings. It’s precautionary but all of this is overblown IMO. Just wash your hands ya nasties.
                        2005 Crownline 216LS. "At-Risk Behavior"
                        350 MAG MPI & Bravo III
                        2012 Ram 1500 4wd Crew Cab.

Geaux Saints!!!!

Comment

I found a new source of income to offset the decline in my portfolio.

TP.jpg

2017 E4 350hp 6.2L BIII

Comment

571d78f5-a2b8-4bbd-bfc1-cb3b116e436e.JPG

2017 E4 350hp 6.2L BIII

Comment

Originally posted by DrewM5 View Post
                              I found a new source of income to offset the decline in my portfolio.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":591795[/ATTACH]
                              We don't need any TP, we have a bidet and for you that don't, just clean off in the shower …….
                              MISS "B" HAVEN

Comment

Working...
                              X