Deck ideas, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck ideas, please?

I am going to be adding a deck to the house either this fall or the coming spring (likely spring). Looking for ideas on EVERYTHING! I will post a picture of the space to help with ideas. The house had a covered porch on the rear, but it got blown away with the garage addition about 7 years ago. Now it's time to FINALLY put a deck on, which will cover our walkout basement patio. The only things I know for sure, is that I want composite decking, an under deck drainage system to keep the lower patio dry, and some cool accent lighting. The rest is up in the air... Some things I am considering: a freestanding roof (not attached to the house), or maybe a fabric deck sail shade, a lattice trellis on one side that will allow potted plants to climb and quiet the air conditioner, a creative railing system, maybe a bar in the middle so people can sit all around (tiki bar style with maybe hanging swings), a place to store the grill out of sight, possibly flip out shutters/panels/windows to make it sort of a place that could still be used on cold days, an outdoor TV. Will also be removing a BIG 11' picture window and putting in a french style door out to this deck. That's about it for now. Oh the size is roughly 16-17' deep by 20-25' wide along house. Post up some pics of what you have or have seen! Thanks. Mike
    Boat Covers and Bimini Tops here: www.BaldMikes.com

Pre-Enjoyed Boats: www.BaldMikesBoats.com

Two-thirds of the earth’s surface would be wasted, if it wasn’t for boating.

Composite is $$$. We ended up doing cedar as our experience on our other house was positive. I can stain and replace boards a number of times over before I’d match the cost of composite.

We did do stainless cable instead of traditional balusters. It was more expensive, but that’s the most time consuming aspect of staining a deck. Also, it helps with the view.

Look into a pergola vs a solid roof. It will block a good bit of light without feeling blocked in IMHO.
    Crownline 235 SS LPX 502

Comment

Wood looks a lot better even if more work. Imo
      2006 Crownline 180 BR
      4.3 L MerCruiser Alpha One 1.81
      Prestige trailer
      Platform by: Swimplatform.com
      19P Rev 4 SS Prop

Comment

I have to replace my deckboards on our side deck soon. Luckily it's a small area but when I built it I used treated 2x6's. Might do composite this time. We used to have a pool and the whole deck was composite then the sidewall decided it didn't like containing water anymore so I tore the deck down and built a raised 'patio' in the middle of our back yard. The plan was to put a gazebo type fixture on it to sit out there on nice days but then we bought the boat and that idea was scrapped...lol. But anyway, the composite starts looking pretty crappy after awhile in my opinion but then so does wood but at least the wood is cheaper. Maybe composite has gotten better but mine started out a light tannish/gray and now looks like a very light gray. I do like that it doesn't splinter but it is bouncier so might want to consider tighter joist spacing. My 'patio' and deck are both 18" centers but if I put composite on the side deck I might add joist in between to help.

Comment

Whatever deck material you use, screw it down, don't nail it down. I like composite decking but it is more expensive up front.
          MISS "B" HAVEN

2007 Mastercraft X2, Indmar 350 MCX, 350 hp V-Drive (SOLD 8/12/16)

Previous boat (1999-2011) : 1999 202BR Carbed 5.7, 250HP, Alpha 1, 17P Rev 4

Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel

Comment

When I rebuilt the deck at our last house I used cedar and wished I had done composite after the fact. Cedar was a lot more expensive than the treated wood and I later wished I would have just invested a little more and did the composite. To me there is nothing worse than spending an entire weekend power spraying and staining a deck every 2-3 years.....I dreaded it. Our neighbor had a composite deck and it made me jealous watching him spend only a couple hours every so often power spraying it and being done. I don't know a lot about the composite material but I'm sure there are some downsides to it also including cost and the already mentioned color fading.

2018 Crownline E4 6.2L Bravo III
            2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71

Comment

Two words: Stripper Pole
              "The problem with internet quotes is that they are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

2017 E4 350hp 6.2L BIII
              2005 240EX "Chaos" (Sold)

Comment

Find a light color and something that won't be hot.
                03 Cobalt 220 8.1gxi 420 9/20/16
                03 Cobalt 220 8.1gi 375 3/16 sold 9/16 "Always for Sale"
                Cobalt 220 5.7gxi 320 10/19/15 sold 2/16
                2004 Cobalt 200 350 mag. "Kids in Tow" 4/30/15 sold 10/8/15
                Clifford Sold 3/7/15 1999 Crownline 202
                350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
                Alpha One 1.47 Drive shower
                17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura
                Towed by 2010 Chevrolet Suburban 75th Diamond Edition.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Chad~ View Post
                  Find a light color and something that won't be hot.
                  100% this. We made the mistake of staining our old deck dark brown to match the interior flooring. Our dogs hated it!
                  Crownline 235 SS LPX 502

Comment

Originally posted by DrewM5 View Post
                    This guy gets it.
                    2005 Crownline 216LS. "At-Risk Behavior"
                    350 MAG MPI & Bravo III
                    2012 Ram 1500 4wd Crew Cab.

Geaux Saints!!!!

Comment

Patio ...
                      Mark Swenson
                      2005 Crownline 202 BR w/ 5.0 MPI

....We are ALL a little CRAZY, some of us just show it more than others !!!....

Comment

I got so tired of pressure washing and staining or treating decks that I bite the bullet at our last house and had them redo the entire deck in composite with the hidden screws. My only maintenance was at the beginning of the season was to spray Mold Armor (or something like that) on the deck and lightly brush and rinse off. I wouldn't have to find a few days of good weather (without rain in Iowa) to try to do the deck. I had much more fun boating than working on the deck. It's pricey to go composite, but I valued my time more.
                        Carlsbad, California
                        Current Boat: 2015 Formula 350 CBR
                        Previous Boat: 2009 Crownline 252 EX
                        Vehicle: 2018 Chevy Bolt

Comment

I bought my parents house out of my mother's estate a couple years ago. It has a cantilevered deck about 40' by 8' that my father built in the late 1970's. It has plywood decking (I assume tongue and groove marine plywood). In any case, after 40 years it is finally time to redeck it. It needs to be a waterproof solid type deck as it covers a patio looking out over the river. I have researched the various types of decking with under deck drainage Given the various downsides (mostly maintenance and cleaning but also costs) to the different decking systems and drainage systems that I have seen, I have come to the conclusion that it is probably best (least expensive and least maintenance) to simply redeck with tongue and groove plywood (haven't concluded on marine ply vs. pressure treated ply yet). Last time lasted 40 years which is much longer than I am going to last!!

Just for info, this deck is not covered so is open to the rain and snow. It has been restained (various types of redwood stain) every couple of years for the last 40 years, but otherwise no significant maintenance. I do wish I knew what type plywood was originally used, but whatever it was is probably no longer made given today's environmental standards. Anyone have thoughts or experience on marine vs treated ply for this application?
                          Dave
                          2002 Rinker 212 Captiva
                          2008 Ford F-150 to tow it with

Comment

Originally posted by DrewM5 View Post
                            That was my first thought.

And I would absolutely go composite. Maintenance on a deck stinks.
                            2014 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV with 450 HP LS3
                            2004 Crownline 216 LS 350 Mag BIII "All Paws on Deck" - SOLD with 685 Hours on the clock!
                            2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn
                            2007 Lund 1660 Sport

Comment

Hmmm... Maybe I'll just cement board and tile it with wood looking tile.
                              Boat Covers and Bimini Tops here: www.BaldMikes.com

Pre-Enjoyed Boats: www.BaldMikesBoats.com

Two-thirds of the earth’s surface would be wasted, if it wasn’t for boating.

Comment

Working...
                              X