Oil Filter Part#

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter Part#

Trying something different this year by doing the end of season maintenance myself with some help.
    Does anyone know the oil filter part# for my '02 192BR with 5.0L merc cruiser?

I can see it and reach it but the numbers are not visible and I want to have a couple onhand before I start the process.
    Looks like a white Sierra brand is being used currently.

Thank you.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    2002 192BR w/5.0L
    Towed by 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
    Backup tow by 2001 Dakota V8

--Assuming it's a 5.0L MPI (all serial numbers use the same filter), it's Quicksilver 35-866340Q03​, or Sierra 18-7876-1, or Mercury 35-866340K01. You can figure out most parts by starting with the Mercruiser part number then cross-referencing to other brands. Find them here: https://www.mercruiserparts.com/5-0l-mpi-alpha-bravo
    Bruce

Comment

It is not the fuel injected engine, it is the carb model if that makes a difference.
      Thanks
      2002 192BR w/5.0L

Comment

Appears to be the same filters.
        Bruce

Comment

Don't forget the fuel water separator.
          2002 Crownline 230BR, MX6.2, BIII, Prestige trailer, drug by a 2001 2500HD ext. cab 4x4

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of both filters on order.

Any experience using an oil extractor pump from the dipstick access? Seems like a less messy way if it works.
            Nevermind, I searched and found some information on a couple I might try.
            Last edited by bandana; 09-22-2022, 08:15 AM.
            2002 192BR w/5.0L

Comment

Taking off the oil filter is the messy part.
              2006 Crownline 180 BR
              4.3 L MerCruiser Alpha One 1.81
              Prestige trailer
              Platform by: Swimplatform.com
              19P Rev 4 SS Prop

Comment

Originally posted by Mark-P View Post
                Taking off the oil filter is the messy part.
                Assuming a Merc, I take a hammer and punch and punch a hole in the top of the oil filter for it to drain down before removing so less mess.
                2002 Crownline 230BR, MX6.2, BIII, Prestige trailer, drug by a 2001 2500HD ext. cab 4x4

Comment

image.png
                  Originally posted by bandana View Post
                  Thanks for the info. I have a couple of both filters on order.

Any experience using an oil extractor pump from the dipstick access? Seems like a less messy way if it works.
                  Nevermind, I searched and found some information on a couple I might try.
                  I use a Moeller extractor and I'm very happy. It's a bit easier if the oil is warm, but works on cold oil too. ​
                  Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by JollyRoger View Post
                    image.png

I use a Moeller extractor and I'm very happy. It's a bit easier if the oil is warm, but works on cold oil too. ​
                    One thing I also did besides using an extractor is to purchase a 3" PVC thin wall tube with 2 caps at Home Depot. Mine is cut to be about 4 feet long. Once I am done using the dipstick tubes that suck out the oil, I store the dipstick tubes inside the PVC with caps on each end. I also place a paper towel in the end of each cap. Then I don't end up with oil mess as the small trace oil in the tube drips out over the next few hours. For me, it's about keeping the equipment ready for the next use without creating an oily mess inside the box the system came in.
                    Carlsbad, California
                    Current Boat: 2015 Formula 350 CBR
                    Previous Boat: 2009 Crownline 252 EX
                    Vehicle: 2018 Chevy Bolt

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Andersen View Post

Assuming a Merc, I take a hammer and punch and punch a hole in the top of the oil filter for it to drain down before removing so less mess.
                      on my 4.3 merc the oil filter is upside down, underneath and near the back the boat.

Only way i have found to minimize the mess is loosen the filter a bit, put a gallon ziplock bag around it and then try to spin off the filter and keep the filter and dripping oil in the bag.

only mildly successful as i change the oil hot.

always looking for new ways.

probably should just put a remote filter kit on.
                      2006 Crownline 180 BR
                      4.3 L MerCruiser Alpha One 1.81
                      Prestige trailer
                      Platform by: Swimplatform.com
                      19P Rev 4 SS Prop

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Andersen View Post

Same here...makes it a lot cleaner!
                        2006 220EX
                        5.0L, Bravo III
                        Smart Tabs
                        2015 2500 RAM 6.4L

Comment

Working...
                        X