275SS open ocean hull performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 275SS open ocean hull performance

hi all, new to crownline and the site, but an avid boater all my life.
    i'm looking at a 2018 275SS with the 8.2 HO 430hp engine.
    my question is, this will be used in the bays and inlets and atlantic ocean , coastal NJ.
    do the crownline hulls perform well in the choppy windy conditions and thru the swells etc that are common in inlets and offshore.
    i know its a midsize bowrider, so i'm not planning a trip to the shoals... but we do go for long runs from atlantic city down to cape may or even across to lewes delaware, so need a boat that will handle some rough stuff if we need to.
    have had a 22 formula and a 23 searay bowrider, currently in a 25 searay slx that is pretty solid, good riding.
    ready to pull the trigger on this 275SS after a seatrial. but looking for opinions.
    also if anyone cares to get into what tier crownline currently manufactures in.
    aka
    top tier formula cobalt chriscraft
    middle tier chaparral searay monterey
    lower tier rinker bayliner regal crownline ?

i'm going to go look at this boat this weekend with my buddy, we are very familiar with boats, hes a chaparral fan, i am ok with searay but hoping for a little better.
    so we are going to see if the quality is good enough to warrant the price.
    what should we look at to check for fit and finish where does it shine?? where does it lack? things to look out for?

thx for any advice. its much appreciated. i'm 75 percent sold on this boat as its got the size and power i want, but quality longevity and ride are important deciding factors. i was considering a 2019 formula 270br, but at double the price... i'm open to finding a good boat that will do everything i need at half the cost.

oh and if anyone has a link to the model specs for this boat... or knows for sure the deadrise? some places say 21, some say 23. any all all data is welcome.
    plus warranty info, is it 5 yrs on boat and engine? but only thru a dealer? what if dealer is an hour away and unhelpful since i'm buying a used boat.

Comment

Welcome to the CHQ. I’d say it would be a little better than the 25” you’re in now. Bays and inlets would be fine. I wouldn’t take it out into any rowdy open water if it was me.

As far as tier? Crownline is probably up around the Chapps, but lower than the Cobalts I’d image.

Here are some specs: https://specs.boatguideweb.com/speci...s/275_ss/2018/
      2005 Crownline 216LS. "At-Risk Behavior"
      350 MAG MPI & Bravo III
      2012 Ram 1500 4wd Crew Cab.
      2021 Ram 2500 4wd Crew Cab

Comment

Agree with Joey. As long as it's not black 👍😂
        03 Cobalt 220 8.1gxi 420 9/20/16
        03 Cobalt 220 8.1gi 375 3/16 sold 9/16 "Always for Sale"
        Cobalt 220 5.7gxi 320 10/19/15 sold 2/16
        2004 Cobalt 200 350 mag. "Kids in Tow" 4/30/15 sold 10/8/15
        Clifford Sold 3/7/15 1999 Crownline 202
        350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
        Alpha One 1.47 Drive shower
        17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura
        Towed by 2010 Chevrolet Suburban 75th Diamond Edition.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Chad~ View Post
          Agree with Joey. As long as it's not black 👍😂
          I agree with Chad. 😉
          350 MAG MPI & Bravo III

Comment

As far as big water characteristics, I don't think I would expect much difference between your Searay 250 SLX and a Crownline 275SS. You are gaining 2 feet, but losing 300 lbs. Beam and deadrise is essentially the same. If you want a big improvement over the 250 SLX, you may need to consider something with a wider beam, in the 30' + range and at least a few thousand pounds heavier. Just my 2 cents.
            Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by ~Joey~ View Post

I agree with Chad. 😉
              Lol not!
              350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
              17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura

Comment

I think Chad meant to say ... As long as it is NOT YELLOW !!!

🤢🤢🤢 🤮🤮🤮

I suspect that SOMEONE (Joey) may have edited Chad's post.

Mark Swenson
                2005 Crownline 202 BR w/ 5.0 MPI

....We are ALL a little CRAZY, some of us just show it more than others !!!....

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Swenson View Post
                  I think Chad meant to say ... As long as it is NOT YELLOW !!!

🤢🤢🤢 🤮🤮🤮

I suspect that SOMEONE (Joey) may have edited Chad's post.

Who me? Noooo way..
                  350 MAG MPI & Bravo III

Comment

Yea you!

Any how I've never been on loto but from what I hear you really want 30 or larger. I Aptos think you would be ok with that boat for energy now and then? 30ft formula or a R30 Cobalt would be my choices of I had the cash. Look for a R7 Cobalt.
                    350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
                    17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura

Comment

I figured it was appropriate to add a little clarity of some of the antics that happen here for the new guy.

And, by the way ... WELCOME, lextoy !!!!

This is a boating forum and not just a Crownline forum. There are lots of people on here with different brands of boats and a wealth of boating knowledge.
                      Mark Swenson

Comment

Originally posted by ~Chad~ View Post
                        Yea you!

Any how I've never been on loto but from what I hear you really want 30 or larger. I Aptos think you would be ok with that boat for energy now and then? 30ft formula or a R30 Cobalt would be my choices of I had the cash. Look for a R7 Cobalt.
                        Hmmm, haven't been to LOTO, but it surely sounds like a fun ride in a 182, NOT.
                        1999 CL 182 LPX - Solid Onyx - Tweaked 5.0 EFI, 19P Rev 4, Smart Tabs,
                        Drive Shower & Wireless Remote Trim
                        Schlepped by 2017 Dodge Durango Citadel HEMI
                        Daily driver - '92 Corvette Convertible - Blackrose/Lt. Grey - 6 Speed. (sold)
                        My New GSD Project - Winsome's Bearfoot Journey aka "Journey"

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Beckman View Post

I have done it in a 202.

The trip from the ramp to the slip at the condo on a Saturday afternoon was kind of scary.

But, during the week wasn't bad.

Lots of miles of lake to explore with several different tributaries/arms coming into the main river/channel.

There are several on here that have been to LOTO and some do it pretty regularly.

Check out the forum Midwest Boat Party (MWBP).

Mark Swenson

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Beckman View Post

I’ve saw you get the SS Pipsqueak completely airborne at Cumberland. Even saw the prop!!! Plus I believe your pal Tyler’s narrow but busted a bow cushion board. hahaha
                            350 MAG MPI & Bravo III

Comment

Thx all for the comparisons, and the welcome!! I'm going to see a few boats this weekend, chap crown Monterey and searay, I agree on a larger hull being the best antidote for larger seas, but I still like to slice thru the tidal creeks to take shortcuts from the dock to the intercoastal etc, so I'm trying to find the sweet spot between runabout and cruiser. Lol Have to decide arch or no arch, and how important engine displacement is... Before I sea trial. Nobody has any boats in the water right now... Will keep you all posted!

Comment

Working...
                              X