Basic Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Safety

I couldn't find a thread like this but thought it would be useful... especially for newbies
    Last weekend I went boating with someone I had been out with twice before on another boat, as we launched his boat (for his first run of the season) he said to me, "you have a boat, you can drive it off the trailer". I agreed & asked him about the blower switch location and a quick view of where things were. He said I could use the blower if I wanted to. My friend's wife had her hair singed one time because he didn't use the blower (lucky that's all that happened). So on launching I turned on the blower & before I could say boo, he had very quickly bumped me off the trailer and was driving quickly for the parking lot. Launching fast might look really cool to some people if all goes well but I suddenly had a bad feeling. I was drifting toward the open lake. I hit the key quickly & of course I got nothing.... WTF I thought, who does that! I would tell my teenage kids all the time to power up before untying. I doubt he has a paddle on board. Shame on me for not asking more questions about his boat I thought as we drifted to the open water. Luckily although we had a lot of momentum from his bump off, there was a long dock & a slight cross wind so we were able to grab the end of the dock before we drifted out to sea. Found out later to be bad starter motor. So many things wrong & I was not completely blameless.

SO, I'll start the list with 1,2 & 3. Please add to the list, especially if there's a story attached. By the way, all 3 of these are things that involved boaters that I thought had a decent amount of experience.

Rule #1) Always know operation procedure & location of safety equipment on a strange boat. Don't allow someone to rush you, even if you're just simply launching a boat.

Rule #2) Make sure engine is running before detaching from trailer, dock or pulling anchor. The same in reverse; wait til boat is secure (dock, anchor, trailer) before shutting down.

Rule #3) An anchor is a piece of safety equipment even though the USCG only suggests it for smaller boats. You'll realize this when you have ski rope in your prop and are drifting onto the rocks in the wind. Don't ask me how I know this (but again this was not my boat).
    2003 Crownline 202BR
    5.0 MPFI 260HP
    Alpha one 1.62:1
    Quicksilver SS 14dx18p
    Hydrophase Speed Control
    tow vehicle Chevy 1500 4WD

Good post. I always start mine while still on the trailer and back floating. Let it run till it gets some temp in it and I raise the hatch to check for leaks. My bilge blower always runs at least a few minutes before I start it at any time, ever. My anchor is ready to go for that first launch just in case.

Comment

If i have a dock at the launch then the wife and kids have the lines and tie up the boat. Then when I come back the boat is already on by time I get in and hit the key and get it running. If I don't have a dock my wife backs me in the water I get it running then I disconnect it and she bumps me off in the water deeper.
      03 Cobalt 220 8.1gxi 420 9/20/16
      03 Cobalt 220 8.1gi 375 3/16 sold 9/16 "Always for Sale"
      Cobalt 220 5.7gxi 320 10/19/15 sold 2/16
      2004 Cobalt 200 350 mag. "Kids in Tow" 4/30/15 sold 10/8/15
      Clifford Sold 3/7/15 1999 Crownline 202
      350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
      Alpha One 1.47 Drive shower
      17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura
      Towed by 2010 Chevrolet Suburban 75th Diamond Edition.

Comment

Not related to launching, but key for me: The engine is off whenever there is anyone in the water (other than skiers/tubers a safe distance from the boat) or on the swim platform. Full stop, to exceptions. Scares the crap out of me when I see other boats with the engine running while they retrieve their skier or, worse, running around the lake with someone sitting in a rear facing seat. And I will also add the Darwinian practice of a passenger in the bow with their legs hanging over while under way. The problem there is that, in that case, Darwin often claims the wrong victim
        "The problem with internet quotes is that they are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

2017 E4 350hp 6.2L BIII
        2005 240EX "Chaos" (Sold)

Comment

When launching or trailering, we typically have family and guest already in the boat. I have learned to make sure that everyone is seated while the trailer is backed into the water or while I am driving up to the trailer or dock! It seems that the grandkids and typically guest will stand up right before you approach the trailer or dock and on more than one occasion, I have reversed and someone has lost there balance and took a little tumble. My rule is everyone is seated until we stop completely.

As the grandkids get into the boat, they put on their PFD's and I always get one of them to sit in the driver seat and hit the blower button...they kind of like "the power" at their hands. The short trip to the ramp gives plenty of time for any fumes to dissipate. Engine always off when someone's in the water and I always hit the blower switch again for 20-30 seconds before any restart.

Oh and one last rule...no Cheetos or Nacho Doritos on board!😠😠
          2006 220EX
          5.0L, Bravo III
          Smart Tabs
          2015 2500 RAM 6.4L

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Scott View Post
            Oh and one last rule...no Cheetos or Nacho Doritos on board!😠😠
            Goldfish Crackers???

Mark Swenson
            2005 Crownline 202 BR w/ 5.0 MPI

....We are ALL a little CRAZY, some of us just show it more than others !!!....

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Swenson View Post

Goldfish Crackers???

BBQ flavored chips.
              03 Cobalt 220 8.1gxi 420 9/20/16
              03 Cobalt 220 8.1gi 375 3/16 sold 9/16 "Always for Sale"
              Cobalt 220 5.7gxi 320 10/19/15 sold 2/16
              2004 Cobalt 200 350 mag. "Kids in Tow" 4/30/15 sold 10/8/15
              Clifford Sold 3/7/15 1999 Crownline 202
              350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
              Alpha One 1.47 Drive shower
              17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura
              Towed by 2010 Chevrolet Suburban 75th Diamond Edition.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Chad~ View Post

BBQ flavored chips.
                I think someone a few years back said no orange chips, crackers, or other types of snacks that will leave an orange residue on the upholstery or carpet.

And, just from personal experience, spouses don't always follow those rules,, especially when they don't clean the boat.
                Mark Swenson
                2005 Crownline 202 BR w/ 5.0 MPI

....We are ALL a little CRAZY, some of us just show it more than others !!!....

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Swenson View Post

And, just from personal experience, spouses don't always follow those rules,, especially when they don't clean the boat.
                  Facts. I can't get it through my girlfriends head to stop stepping on the vinyl with her sandals...
                  2004 crownline 180 br
                  mercury 4.3, alpha one
                  Blackmax 19p
                  Tow: 2019 Ram Laramie 1500

Comment

These tips are all spot-on. Good stuff. My rules include 1) no red wine, and 2) no pasta salad. A friend's wife brought pasta salad a couple of years ago and of course some was spilled on the carpet, stepped on, ground in, sun-dried, etc. I never was able to get that stain out of the carpet.
                    Bruce

Comment

One of my boating friends is really particular about his boat but allows his wife to bring pickled beets and eggs for each of the summer holidays. I cringe as I watch them being carried back to the swim platform!
                      2016 Formula 330 CBR Twin 6.2 L 350HP Merc With Bravo 3 Drives

2010 Regal 2700 8.1L 375HP Volvo Penta Duo Prop (Traded!)

2004 Crownline 216LS5.0L Alpha 1 (Sold!)

Comment

NO spray sun screen. That stuff gets on everything. All the other colored items as well not on my boat. Kids eat on the swim platform only...…...
                        MISS "B" HAVEN

2007 Mastercraft X2, Indmar 350 MCX, 350 hp V-Drive (SOLD 8/12/16)

Previous boat (1999-2011) : 1999 202BR Carbed 5.7, 250HP, Alpha 1, 17P Rev 4

Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel

Comment

I like the food rules. Mine have always been no red wine & no glass bottles. Also like the one about the shoes on the vinyl, shoes off on the boat (the less clothes the better ).

I did get out again this past weekend. It was a very enjoyable ski day with sunshine & relaxation. But again, it’s funny what you see on other people’s boats that makes you cringe and I often have to say something - some people just haven’t thought about it. SO, I have two more less obvious safety rules that are worth a mention at the risk of being thought of as a safety nazi stick in the mud.

Rule: Always keep the skier on the driver’s side of the boat when circling back for them. And mute the radio at least until they’re out of the water so you can communicate.

Rule: Never let the rope bunch up & collect around a skier. Why do some skiers pull the rope to get to the handle quicker causing a pile of rope in the water around them? A miscommunicated pull command could end up badly. Many people don’t realize that besides the boat hull & prop the rope may be the most dangerous thing around you. It will remove an extremity in a fraction of a second – it happens. Usually a hand. I know someone that had his calf muscle almost completely removed from his lower leg. Lucky to not lose the lower leg or foot. A million stiches to put it all back together & years of rehab after that. As a skier, never wrap the rope around your hand. Pay attention to the rope!
                          2003 Crownline 202BR
                          5.0 MPFI 260HP
                          Alpha one 1.62:1
                          Quicksilver SS 14dx18p
                          Hydrophase Speed Control
                          tow vehicle Chevy 1500 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by Simiflyer View Post
                            I like the food rules. Mine have always been no red wine & no glass bottles. Also like the one about the shoes on the vinyl, shoes off on the boat (the less clothes the better ).

I did get out again this past weekend. It was a very enjoyable ski day with sunshine & relaxation. But again, it’s funny what you see on other people’s boats that makes you cringe and I often have to say something - some people just haven’t thought about it. SO, I have two more less obvious safety rules that are worth a mention at the risk of being thought of as a safety nazi stick in the mud.

Rule: Always keep the skier on the driver’s side of the boat when circling back for them. And mute the radio at least until they’re out of the water so you can communicate.

Rule: Never let the rope bunch up & collect around a skier. Why do some skiers pull the rope to get to the handle quicker causing a pile of rope in the water around them? A miscommunicated pull command could end up badly. Many people don’t realize that besides the boat hull & prop the rope may be the most dangerous thing around you. It will remove an extremity in a fraction of a second – it happens. Usually a hand. I know someone that had his calf muscle almost completely removed from his lower leg. Lucky to not lose the lower leg or foot. A million stiches to put it all back together & years of rehab after that. As a skier, never wrap the rope around your hand. Pay attention to the rope!
                            I had this made up for my boat for each side. Pardon the dirty vinyl the photo was taken before we cleaned it up.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.
                            Jim Baygents
                            Table Rock Lake
                            1998 CL 266 BR 7.4
                            Swim Platforms installed 2017
                            1993 CL 182 BR 5.0 LX Sold 2/1/17

Comment

Working...
                            X