Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 boating season. Pictures encouraged.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First pic from our maiden voyage with the 225 at Lake Cumberland KY on 8/25. 2nd pic is the following Saturday on the 28th at Taylorsville Lake in KY. Supposed to be heading to Nolin Lake tomorrow, but it looks like rain.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by TWinKY225; 09-04-2021, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Beautiful labor day in Minnesota.

now fall colors season next.

This gallery has 2 photos.
      2006 Crownline 180 BR
      4.3 L MerCruiser Alpha One 1.81
      Prestige trailer
      Platform by: Swimplatform.com
      19P Rev 4 SS Prop

Comment

Mike and Paul remember this place on Green Lake? We stayed their over the weekend
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        03 Cobalt 220 8.1gxi 420 9/20/16
        03 Cobalt 220 8.1gi 375 3/16 sold 9/16 "Always for Sale"
        Cobalt 220 5.7gxi 320 10/19/15 sold 2/16
        2004 Cobalt 200 350 mag. "Kids in Tow" 4/30/15 sold 10/8/15
        Clifford Sold 3/7/15 1999 Crownline 202
        350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
        Alpha One 1.47 Drive shower
        17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura
        Towed by 2010 Chevrolet Suburban 75th Diamond Edition.

Comment

We had a regrettable event happen a week ago. My Wife was trying to move the boat into position at a dock to let myself and one other person on the boat before we were to go out on the lake for the day. She was nervous because there were several boats moving in and out of the marina. She gave the boat a “little” too much throttle and the bow hit the edge of a boat slip dock pretty hard. It took a good sized chunk of gel coat off the keel. It was pretty upsetting at the time. I’m glad there were no injuries or anything. I will say, IBoats.com was Johnny-on-the-spot. I ordered a Spectrum gel coat repair kit last Tuesday and received it this Saturday. I went to work on the repair this morning, Sunday, 9/12. I think it went pretty well. I feathered out the edges of the damage with a sanding cartridge roll. Inspected for any remaining cracks. Took a ball burr to get to the bottom of one small quarter inch long crack that the sanding cartridge didn’t get out. Cleaned the area with acetone a couple times. Mixed up the gel coat and catalyzer and schmeared it on the damaged area. Waited about 30 minutes for it to begin to set up and then covered it with some s plastic wrap. After about an hour more time, I sanded, profiled, wet sanded, and buffed the area. I’m pretty happy with the result.
          Last edited by TWinKY225; 09-12-2021, 03:46 PM. Reason: Correcting autocorrect

Comment

Looks good. Luckily I have never had to work with gel.
            2006 Crownline 180 BR
            4.3 L MerCruiser Alpha One 1.81
            Prestige trailer
            Platform by: Swimplatform.com
            19P Rev 4 SS Prop

Comment

Hoping for more “been there, done that” replies. 😬

Comment

Can you take a picture of the can you used? You didn't have to spray it on?
                350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
                17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura

Comment

Here’s a link to the kit I used. It is a pre-thickened gel coat paste that you add a catalyst to. It’s about the consistency of Vaseline and it stays in place wherever you put it. I applied it a little at a time with a small putty knife to make sure I didn’t get any voids. It was amazingly simple though and the result was very surprising to me. I honestly thought it was just going to be ok and I would get it fixed professionally later on. I don’t feel like I need to do that now.

https://www.iboats.com/shop/spectrum...epair-kit.html

0AF03E23-D18D-45FC-B25F-D9D958D0648A.png

Comment

• Nice work. Looks good as new!
                    '07 Cobalt 212
                    5.0 GXi DP
                    Lake Ray Hubbard
                    Rowlett, TX

Comment

• Thanks

Comment

• Ok I used that. What threw me off was you put the wrap over it. You don't need to do that with the paste. I thought because you said that so I thought they sold it in the qt container. Which I didn't think they sold paste in that size. I thought that damage was to big for 1 little paste kit. Just my thoughts.
                        350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
                        17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura

Comment

• Gotcha. I really only used about half of the kit. I was expecting to have to sand everything down and put on a second application to get the profile just right and not have defects showing. Pleasantly surprised with how it came out.

Comment

• Originally posted by TWinKY225 View Post
                            We had a regrettable event happen a week ago. My Wife was trying to move the boat into position at a dock to let myself and one other person on the boat before we were to go out on the lake for the day. She was nervous because there were several boats moving in and out of the marina. She gave the boat a “little” too much throttle and the bow hit the edge of a boat slip dock pretty hard. It took a good sized chunk of gel coat off the keel. It was pretty upsetting at the time. I’m glad there were no injuries or anything. I will say, IBoats.com was Johnny-on-the-spot. I ordered a Spectrum gel coat repair kit last Tuesday and received it this Saturday. I went to work on the repair this morning, Sunday, 9/12. I think it went pretty well. I feathered out the edges of the damage with a sanding cartridge roll. Inspected for any remaining cracks. Took a ball burr to get to the bottom of one small quarter inch long crack that the sanding cartridge didn’t get out. Cleaned the area with acetone a couple times. Mixed up the gel coat and catalyzer and schmeared it on the damaged area. Waited about 30 minutes for it to begin to set up and then covered it with some s plastic wrap. After about an hour more time, I sanded, profiled, wet sanded, and buffed the area. I’m pretty happy with the result.
                            Looks good.
                            2005 Crownline 216LS. "At-Risk Behavior"
                            350 MAG MPI & Bravo III
                            2012 Ram 1500 4wd Crew Cab.
                            2021 Ram 2500 4wd Crew Cab

Comment

• Wow, looks great! I'd be very happy with that repair. Nice work!

Comment

Working...
                              X