Boat Ordered and Shout Out to Crownline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Ordered and Shout Out to Crownline

First of all, thanks to all of you who provided feedback to me in my earlier thread. It was very helpful!

But I also want to give a big shout-out to Kevin Riem at Crownline - he is the guy you see in all the new videos. I was really struggling with the decision between the two 8.2l engine options. My dealer was pushing me toward the 380hp MAG and lots of other folks (including on here) were telling me that was the way to go. The guy who owns my marina pointed out that power is the one thing (other than length) that you really need to get right when you order. I was driving myself nuts. I didn't want to throw $6-7K at something that would not actually add much enjoyment to the boat, but I also didn't want buyer's remorse. I spent the extra $4K to put the 350hop in my E4 (against the dealer's advice no less), loved the way it performed, and never really missed the money in my savings account.

I was driving my dealer nuts as well and also pushing back a bit on the upcharge, so he reached out to Kevin to see what his advice was - and whether there was any more room to move on the cost. Kevin told him that, it if were his boat, he would build it with the 380 and save the extra money. That, of course, only made me more torn as I had pretty much decided on the 430 if I could wiggle a bit more room in the price. I asked my dealer if I could call Kevin directly and was a bit surprised when he said "sure" and gave me Kevin's cell number.

Kevin spent close to a half hour with me talking boats in general, Crownline specifically (he really wanted to know what I liked and didn't like in my previous 2 Crownlines) and about the choice of power. He asked me a bunch of questions about how I use the boat, etc. and really seemed to want to sell me the "right" boat and not just the most expensive one. He claims that with 2 guys in each, the 380 will come out of the hole neck and neck with the 430 and the 430 will need more than 1/4 mile to really pull away. He suggested that I look at it from an 80/20 perspective: if 80% of the time, I am with 3-4 people and moderate load and 20% of the time I have 8 or more with coolers and crap, just get the 380. If the inverse, get the 430. He was incredibly nice and helpful and really made me feel good about Crownline as a brand and my decision to buy another one. I am not sure how many other brands would give you access like that unless buying a 7 figure boat.

So now to the "punchline" - I ordered a new E275 with the following options:
    • 430hp 8.2l h.o. Mercruiser engine with DTS
    • Forte gelcoat Amethyst with Slate stripe
    • Color matched interior
    • Monorock snap in mat
    • Bow filler cushions
    • Fender clips
    • Color matched trailer
    • Performance Amplified Social Swim stereo
    • Trim tabs w/indicators
    AND NOW THE WAIT BEGINS!

IMG_8107.jpegIMG_1753.jpeg
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

2017 E4 350hp 6.2L BIII
    2005 240EX "Chaos" (Sold)

Congrats on the purchase... good to hear positive dealer experiences too! Can't wait to see pictures!

Comment

Of course I think you made the correct decision. Congrats. So 1 issue we just found out on the fender clips is they do stick out some and can catch a dock and in return rip out of the hull. Not a pretty site. If you docks never move and you always use the same one then they are fine. Otherwise it's a pain to adjust them. Personally I really like them but they are never in the right spot. Again I'm happy for you and your family. Congrats 🎉🎉
      03 Cobalt 220 8.1gxi 420 9/20/16
      03 Cobalt 220 8.1gi 375 3/16 sold 9/16 "Always for Sale"
      Cobalt 220 5.7gxi 320 10/19/15 sold 2/16
      2004 Cobalt 200 350 mag. "Kids in Tow" 4/30/15 sold 10/8/15
      Clifford Sold 3/7/15 1999 Crownline 202
      350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
      Alpha One 1.47 Drive shower
      17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura
      Towed by 2010 Chevrolet Suburban 75th Diamond Edition.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Chad~ View Post
        Of course I think you made the correct decision. Congrats. So 1 issue we just found out on the fender clips is they do stick out some and can catch a dock and in return rip out of the hull. Not a pretty site. If you docks never move and you always use the same one then they are fine. Otherwise it's a pain to adjust them. Personally I really like them but they are never in the right spot. Again I'm happy for you and your family. Congrats 🎉🎉
        Thanks for that warning!
        "The problem with internet quotes is that they are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

2017 E4 350hp 6.2L BIII

Comment

Congrats on the purchase.
          Crownline 235 SS LPX 502

Comment

Congratulations!
            Carlsbad, California
            Current Boat: 2015 Formula 350 CBR
            Previous Boat: 2009 Crownline 252 EX
            Vehicle: 2018 Chevy Bolt

Comment

Congrats oh I soooooooo want to get a new Crownline soon I too have been talking to several dealers. I will be looking close at the next boatshow this winter.

Comment

Congrats. You wont regret more HP. !!
                2006 Crownline 180 BR
                4.3 L MerCruiser Alpha One 1.81
                Prestige trailer
                Platform by: Swimplatform.com
                19P Rev 4 SS Prop

Comment

MISS "B" HAVEN

2007 Mastercraft X2, Indmar 350 MCX, 350 hp V-Drive (SOLD 8/12/16)

Previous boat (1999-2011) : 1999 202BR Carbed 5.7, 250HP, Alpha 1, 17P Rev 4

Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel

Comment

Thanks all! I am happy with the set up. I don't ever boat at night so none of the lighting options appeal to me. I toyed with the idea of a windlass, but $2,500+ for that didn't make sense. Would love the Corsa, but the cost of the necessary divorce lawyer to go with it is to much. I put a Dinan exhaust on my last M5 and let's just say that my wife did not appreciate the V10 orchestra quite as much as I did.

But if any of you think that I am missing a "must have" based on your experiences, I would love the input.

2017 E4 350hp 6.2L BIII

Comment

Originally posted by ~Chad~ View Post
                      Agreed on this. They sound like a great idea, but just don't work as well as you'd hope. We have two fenders set up with the clips for a boat that we tie up with all the time and that works out ok, but other than that, we don't use them.
                      2016 Formula 330 CBR Twin 6.2 L 350HP Merc With Bravo 3 Drives

2010 Regal 2700 8.1L 375HP Volvo Penta Duo Prop (Traded!)

2004 Crownline 216LS5.0L Alpha 1 (Sold!)

Comment

Congrats!! Can't wait to see it!
                        2018 Crownline E4 6.2L Bravo III
                        2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71

Comment

Originally posted by codgaard View Post
                          Congrats!! Can't wait to see it!
                          makes two of us! I am hoping they will send me build pictures again to feed my impatience. If they do, I will post.

2017 E4 350hp 6.2L BIII

Comment

Its truly insane what the upcharge was on the 375hp to the 425 in the 496 when the only difference was a camshaft which im assuming is the only difference between the 380 and 430. It literally costs them nothing more to build that I can figure. A good friend put an HO cam in his 496 and the power was certainly noticeable but even if you wont notice it the difference in sound is well worth it. The HO cam is way lumpier. Congrats on the new boat, you spec'd it out about exactly the way I would have if I were to buy a new boat.
                            Baja 232 Islander

Comment

Originally posted by brody View Post
                              Its truly insane what the upcharge was on the 375hp to the 425 in the 496 when the only difference was a camshaft which im assuming is the only difference between the 380 and 430. It literally costs them nothing more to build that I can figure. A good friend put an HO cam in his 496 and the power was certainly noticeable but even if you wont notice it the difference in sound is well worth it. The HO cam is way lumpier. Congrats on the new boat, you spec'd it out about exactly the way I would have if I were to buy a new boat.
                              Yeah, a hefty upcharge for a different camshaft and ECM/ECU. It was the same for the 6.2l 300 to 350. I don't know how much of it is simply a pass through of the input const from Mercruiser. For the 6.2l on my current boat, I looked into the 300 and buying the 350 ECU (or another tune) and cam. But then you need to re-prop it and by the time you do all that, it costs about the same and you lose the Mercruiser warranty.

2017 E4 350hp 6.2L BIII

Comment

Working...
                              X