Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Question

Hi all-

I have had a lingering question regarding towing but after bringing the boat out of storage over the weekend I can now confirm it's not just in my head. Here is the scenario: I have a 2000 180 being pulled by a 18' Tahoe and at various speeds when towing, the tow vehicle will begin to shake (normally this takes place through the 40-55 mph range). It's nothing violent by any means but it's also not smooth and even my wife has even noticed. The odd thing is that after continuing to drive it does settle down and smooth out as normal but at the same point I can't replicate the shake each time I start accelerating. With regards to the trailer - the brakes have been replaced in the last 1.5 years.... the bearings are less than a year old... the tires PSI is 50 and when the shaking starts I look in the mirrors I can see both wheels and they at least visually don't appear to be shaking. After pulling the boat home over the weekend from a 10 mile drive the hubs are also cool and not overheating.

Clearly it's unsettling when this happens and I want to address this so does anyone have any ideas on what I should look at next to help get rid of this?

Is it just in the first few miles? Maybe the tires have slight flat spots from sitting?
    James Young
    1000 Islands, Ontario

2004 Crownline 202 BR
    5.0 GXI

Comment

Are the trailer tires balanced ? Are the tires radial or bias ply ?

Comment

They are bias tires which are approximately 4 years old and over the weekend it was the first time out of storage so at that point it had been sitting since last November so maybe it is flat spots and it was towards the beginning of the trip that it started. Any idea on how quickly it can take to form because I feel like in cases where the trailer has sat for only a week or two at a time it also has shown the shaking.

Comment

Im sure just flat spots once they get good and hot will smooth out. Bias ply will get flat spots a little faster than radials but all tires can get them. I haven't used Bias in years. But back when they would get flat spots in 3-4 weeks but always smooth out. Before next "W" I would swing by the local junk yard and pick up some scissor jacks they are very cheap. Then jack up trailer just enough to take bulge out of tire. No need to jack them up in air. This will solve the flat spots and also help make the tires last longer.

Comment

Reading your description you mention the tow vehicle shakes between speeds of 40-55 MPH. This is the speed the torque converter "locks up" in the upper gears. If you have an overdrive transmission and are carrying or towing a load the engine might be stalling just before it drops to a lower gear. The vehicle will "shudder". The vehicle will do the same thing without the load, it just won't be that noticeable. Bias ply tires are notorious for developing flat spots, they work round-out in a mile or so.
            1999 CL 182 LPX - Solid Onyx - Tweaked 5.0 EFI, 19P Rev 4, Smart Tabs,
            Drive Shower & Wireless Remote Trim
            Schlepped by 2017 Dodge Durango Citadel HEMI
            Daily driver - '92 Corvette Convertible - Blackrose/Lt. Grey - 6 Speed. (sold)
            My New GSD Project - Winsome's Bearfoot Journey aka "Journey"

Comment

Usually the shaking on a car is an out of balance tire. May have lost a weight.
              Last edited by Randy-X2; 05-13-2019, 05:17 PM.
              MISS "B" HAVEN

2007 Mastercraft X2, Indmar 350 MCX, 350 hp V-Drive (SOLD 8/12/16)

Previous boat (1999-2011) : 1999 202BR Carbed 5.7, 250HP, Alpha 1, 17P Rev 4

Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I'm a bit sensitive to trailer concerns at this point since over the last couple of years I have had bearings fail on two separate occasions despite being fairly new / repacked and it does seem to be pointing to the tires having a flat spot.

Comment

I am thinking tires, too. But are you putting the Tahoe into Tow/Haul mode when towing? This changes how the transmission shifts and may also change how the torque converter will lock up.
                  2002 Crownline 230BR, MX6.2, BIII, Prestige trailer, drug by a 2001 2500HD ext. cab 4x4

Comment

It may not be the case but I've read many issues with gm new vehicles get frame shutter. It is common if you read on it. On a concrete hey my 2010 does it. It started around 1999. The new ones have it also. Your trailer could just be bringing it out more. Just a thought. I put balance beads in my trailer tires.
                    03 Cobalt 220 8.1gxi 420 9/20/16
                    03 Cobalt 220 8.1gi 375 3/16 sold 9/16 "Always for Sale"
                    Cobalt 220 5.7gxi 320 10/19/15 sold 2/16
                    2004 Cobalt 200 350 mag. "Kids in Tow" 4/30/15 sold 10/8/15
                    Clifford Sold 3/7/15 1999 Crownline 202
                    350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
                    Alpha One 1.47 Drive shower
                    17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura
                    Towed by 2010 Chevrolet Suburban 75th Diamond Edition.

Comment

If you end up raising the trailer off the ground next year you should support it with jack stands under the frame not with jacks under the axle. Jacks under the axle long term has the potential to bend the axle.
                      2014 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV with 450 HP LS3
                      2004 Crownline 216 LS 350 Mag BIII "All Paws on Deck" - SOLD with 685 Hours on the clock!
                      2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn
                      2007 Lund 1660 Sport

Comment

Each time I tow I do make sure the tow mode is activated and while I'm also familiar with some of the concerns with GM vehicles getting a buffeting sound I am happy to say I haven't experienced any of those issues at all. I don't tow all that far in a season (probably less than 400 miles total) but did see that the tire manufacture date was in 2012 so I would say that there up for replacement anyhow. I guess at this point I will just have to decide if I should stick with the bias tires or go with a radial.

Comment

Been happy so far with the endurance tires.
                          03 Cobalt 220 8.1gxi 420 9/20/16
                          03 Cobalt 220 8.1gi 375 3/16 sold 9/16 "Always for Sale"
                          Cobalt 220 5.7gxi 320 10/19/15 sold 2/16
                          2004 Cobalt 200 350 mag. "Kids in Tow" 4/30/15 sold 10/8/15
                          Clifford Sold 3/7/15 1999 Crownline 202
                          350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
                          Alpha One 1.47 Drive shower
                          17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura
                          Towed by 2010 Chevrolet Suburban 75th Diamond Edition.

Comment

The local shop I go to which focuses on RVs and trailers said that he started using Triangle tires almost exclusively 5 years ago and has had such good luck with them that he is even now putting them on some RVs. I'm not familiar with this brand but see they are a Chinese made tire. Has anyone else heard of them or have any positive or negative experiences?

Comment

Working...
                            X