Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing a few dock kisses from rub rail.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing a few dock kisses from rub rail.

Pretty straight forward question! Rub rail on my 210 CCR has quite a few marks on it from the dock, a few from me and a lot more from the previous owner. Little research says to carefully use acetone to clean it. Anyone use acetone for this before? Or if there is a better method I'm all ears! Thanks much.

I am experiencing the same thing. My rub rail is white with stainless steel insert. I think I would try a magic eraser first. Maybe try a scotch bright pad and some WD40. I have used that method on the plastic of 777 first class seats at work.

Comment

Fyi......scrubbed and scrubbed with magic eraser and a few different solutions were used with no luck. I have the black rub rail and all my marks are white, no clue how I get white scuff marks off of a wood dock!? Everything ive read is acetone is the answer, just have to be very, very careful with it and use it in small amounts.

Comment

I always used a scotch brite pad and elbow grease. Maybe a little Dawn for good measure.
        MISS "B" HAVEN

2007 Mastercraft X2, Indmar 350 MCX, 350 hp V-Drive (SOLD 8/12/16)

Previous boat (1999-2011) : 1999 202BR Carbed 5.7, 250HP, Alpha 1, 17P Rev 4

Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel

Comment

My rubrail is black too and I use acetone all the time. Little bit on a rag and just wipe gently until its gone. Then let the acetone evaporate. If you scrub with it the acetone will dissolve the rubber making it gooey until it evaporates. It works well and I have done it many times, just be careful with it.
          Brad, Kelli, and Floyd
          St John, IN

1999 Crownline 202BR powered by a 5.7 Alpha
          Towed by 2014 GMC Sierra

Comment

Originally posted by Brad-S View Post
            My rubrail is black too and I use acetone all the time. Little bit on a rag and just wipe gently until its gone. Then let the acetone evaporate. If you scrub with it the acetone will dissolve the rubber making it gooey until it evaporates. It works well and I have done it many times, just be careful with it.
            X2. If you get the rag soaked enough you can usually get it off in 2-3 fairly quick passes. 1st passes loosens it, next pass or two takes it off. DO NOT scrub too long as Brad mentioned. Acetone will dull the finish. Could buff rub rail if that bothers you enough.
            Boat Covers and Bimini Tops here: www.BaldMikes.com

Pre-Enjoyed Boats: www.BaldMikesBoats.com

Two-thirds of the earth’s surface would be wasted, if it wasn’t for boating.

Comment

Whats it cost to replace the insert?? That may be an option.
              MISS "B" HAVEN

2007 Mastercraft X2, Indmar 350 MCX, 350 hp V-Drive (SOLD 8/12/16)

Previous boat (1999-2011) : 1999 202BR Carbed 5.7, 250HP, Alpha 1, 17P Rev 4

Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel

Comment

Actual whole new rub rail looks to be a bit on the pricey side. Other than the markings there are no issues with it. Sounds like a little acetone should do the trick and a cheaper alternative to start with. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Working...
                X