No announcement yet.

Depth finder reads off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the cable to the transducer has been cut and reconnected with a crimp on connector the unit will not read correctly. I have a hummingbird 1998 model and it is no longer made and the cable/transducer can't be replaced. For me it is a whole new unit. Mine is glued in hull unit. I am on a deep lake it is not as needed as other lakes and rivers.
    Jim Baygents
    Table Rock Lake
    1998 CL 266 BR 7.4
    Swim Platforms installed 2017
    1993 CL 182 BR 5.0 LX Sold 2/1/17

Comment

Originally posted by Adfrasher View Post
      I might inquire a shop doing it.. I’m handy, but messing with something that can potentially sink my boat, might leave it to the pros as long as the price isn’t too steep.. appreciate the replies!
      The epoxy I mentioned in my post is how it is mounted inside the hull. Yea....I would never try to pull out and replace a thru-hull transducer. There really isn't any need to. Just pull wires off the old transducer and hook them onto the new one sitting right next to it inside the hull that was mounted with the epoxy.

2018 Crownline E4 6.2L Bravo III
      2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71

Comment

When installing a Hull Mounted Transducer, it must be solid to the water, no air pockets or air bubbles. Use slow cure epoxy find a spot near the old unit shmear the epoxy, place the new unit in the middle of the shmear and put a weight on the new unit till the epoxy is cured. Be careful with the cable attached to the new Transducer.
        1999 CL 182 LPX - Solid Onyx - Tweaked 5.0 EFI, 19P Rev 4, Smart Tabs,
        Drive Shower & Wireless Remote Trim
        Schlepped by 2017 Dodge Durango Citadel HEMI
        Daily driver - '92 Corvette Convertible - Blackrose/Lt. Grey - 6 Speed. (sold)
        My New GSD Project - Winsome's Bearfoot Journey aka "Journey"

Comment

Had a hull mounted transducer installed when I got my current Chap. First try must have has some air pockets and it just wouldn’t read. Second try was a success.
          2007 Chapparal 220 SSI
          5.7 Mag MPI
          Bravo 3
          Sold- 2001 Crownline 202BR
          5.0 Merc - carb
          Alpha 1.62

Comment

Working...
          X