how to remove boat lettering from 1996

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to remove boat lettering from 1996

I have just bought a 1996 225BR and the registration numbers on the side are apparently original. I can see bits of old dried out adhesive on the sides of some of the letters but not even goo gone or heat will touch them. I can pick at them with my fingernail and they do just chip off in minute pieces. What would you recommend for something like this? Would one of the rubber eraser wheels be a good option?
    Thanks, Craig

I just saw that I put 1966 in the title. It is a 1996 so it is in it's 20's not it's 50's!
    Last edited by Bretz; 09-05-2019, 03:36 PM.

Acetone maybe?? More elbow grease?? Whatever chemicals you use be sure to wash it thoroughly after.

BTW, from S. Carolina
    MISS "B" HAVEN

2007 Mastercraft X2, Indmar 350 MCX, 350 hp V-Drive (SOLD 8/12/16)

Previous boat (1999-2011) : 1999 202BR Carbed 5.7, 250HP, Alpha 1, 17P Rev 4

Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel

Comment

Yes, eraser wheel at that point.
      Boat Covers and Bimini Tops here: www.BaldMikes.com

Pre-Enjoyed Boats: www.BaldMikesBoats.com

Two-thirds of the earth’s surface would be wasted, if it wasn’t for boating.

Comment

I am beginning to think that the registration number is actually painted onto my boat. The 3M eraser wheel did not do much of anything. I have attached some photos that show what I am dealing with.

Any recommendations on what I should try next?

Comment

Try oven easy off. The bad thing is if they are painted on its going to feel like it's dented into the gel and it's a bitch to get rid of.
          03 Cobalt 220 8.1gxi 420 9/20/16
          03 Cobalt 220 8.1gi 375 3/16 sold 9/16 "Always for Sale"
          Cobalt 220 5.7gxi 320 10/19/15 sold 2/16
          2004 Cobalt 200 350 mag. "Kids in Tow" 4/30/15 sold 10/8/15
          Clifford Sold 3/7/15 1999 Crownline 202
          350 mag 300 HP MPI Corsa
          Alpha One 1.47 Drive shower
          17p Rev 4, 21p Vensura
          Towed by 2010 Chevrolet Suburban 75th Diamond Edition.

Comment

I think they are decals. The normal process for removing decals would be a heat gun, peel, and then adhesive remover/acetone to remove residue. NEVER use a metal razor blade...it'll take the gel coat with it!!! You can try plastic razor blades if needed. When the decals are old and weathered, it's very hard to get them off and they come off as you described above, just in little tiny pieces like your photos.
            Boat Covers and Bimini Tops here: www.BaldMikes.com

Pre-Enjoyed Boats: www.BaldMikesBoats.com

Two-thirds of the earth’s surface would be wasted, if it wasn’t for boating.

Comment

Originally posted by Bald Mike View Post
              I think they are decals. The normal process for removing decals would be a heat gun, peel, and then adhesive remover/acetone to remove residue. NEVER use a metal razor blade...it'll take the gel coat with it!!! You can try plastic razor blades if needed. When the decals are old and weathered, it's very hard to get them off and they come off as you described above, just in little tiny pieces like your photos.
              Agreed, they look like decals, not paint.
              MISS "B" HAVEN

2007 Mastercraft X2, Indmar 350 MCX, 350 hp V-Drive (SOLD 8/12/16)

Previous boat (1999-2011) : 1999 202BR Carbed 5.7, 250HP, Alpha 1, 17P Rev 4

Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel

Comment

I've had good luck with Turtle Wax Label and Sticker Remover. I was struggling to remove old, peeling tread-tape from my trailer fenders and picked this stuff up on a whim. Nothing else I tried cut the adhesive as well. I scored the tread-tape with a knife, being careful to not cut the fender paint below, allowing the Turtle Wax to reach the adhesive, and started peeling away. I'd give it at shot.
                1998 202BR 5.7L

Comment

Well CRAP!!!

Based on how they are or more accurately are not wanting to come off I will likely need to look at some sore of chemical stripper to attack the lettering but not the gel coat. The 3M eraser really did next to nothing and using a heat gun really made no difference in the way they wanted to come off.

***Update*** I made it home from work and decided to attack the lettering again and I can tell you now that it was in fact paint. I ended up using Easy Off oven cleaner and after a couple applications and some scraping with a plastic razor blade I was able to get 99% of the paint off!. I will need to go over the area with my buffer and some wax to finish removing the last little remnants but it is finally off. I do see some yellowing and ghosting around the old lettering but I am hopeful that once I get the area waxed back up and the new registration back on it will not be that noticeable.
                  Last edited by hawkeyestoob; 08-28-2019, 09:23 PM. Reason: Adding evening update.

Comment

Working...
                  X