Crownie HQ Boater's Forum

Home Forums Today's Posts Classifieds
Go Back   Crownie HQ Boater's Forum > General Discussion Boating

Old 02-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
Divrdown

vCash: 500
Default engine shop info

Ok its time to get the engine replaced in my 182 (only 108 hrs. on the clock a rod / piston failure) I am going to have to go with the stock 4.3 since I do not have enough room to squeeze the 5.7 in there. I am having a few issues with the model though. The boat is a 1996 and its the 4.3 LX rated at 180 HP. It has the Vortec heads but some of the casting numbers list it as pre 95 and it also has the older 12 bolt intake not the (96) or newer 8 bolt. This is causing problems with using my current intake, timing cover, oil pan. Looks like I may have a 1995 left over engine in my 96 Crown. Anyway I am looking at a couple of engine shops that sells remanufactured engines that are in Fl. They can ship me one cheaper than I can rebuild or get one local. Here are the two links that I am looking at:
http://www.alengine.com/contact.htm
http://www.rapidomarine.com/
Anyone ever dealt with either of these places any other input suggestions? thanks
Old 02-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
John Tomlinson

Never used Rapido but have heard numerous good stories about them.

What makes you think you have vortec heads, from the description of the intake manifold sounds like they are pre vortec? It's not unusual for the engine and or drive to be a year older than the boat model year.

I've got a 99 Crownline and the motor was build in 98. You can always call Mercruiser and if you have the Merc engine serial number they can tell you when it was manufactured.

Here's a link to the Mercruiser Contact Website

If you want to double check the dimensions for the V6 vs V8 here a link to Mercruiser Sterndrive Engine Dimensional Drawings
Old 02-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Kerry Miller
Buddha's Pet

I agree with John, most manufactureres will use up the stock before putting in new. So your 96 could definately have a 95 Mercruiser in it.

I say put in one of the engines you listed and put the blown one on Ebay.

Kerry
"If everyone in the whole world had the same skin color, hair color and eye color, if we were all the same religion, if we all had the same favorite sports teams, drank the same beer, drove the same car, and spoke the same language, if we all hung our toilet paper the same way, listened to the same music, had the same hat size, and used the same toothpaste, mankind would......still divide into at least two groups and find a reason to kill each other."
Kerry Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Chris Jacobsen
"BlueBerry"

A 5.7 liter engine should fit in the 182BR because those boats came with a 5.0 liter from Crownline, they say that is all the boat will handle for HP but I believe Bob Loyd put in a 6.2 liter in a 182BR???? Don't quote me though. If you want the 5.7 then it should go, might take different motor mounts though?
Chris Jacobsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Cory Heitman
RIVER RAT

5.7 will fit. I think you may need to move the backseat forward and have a larger sunpad built, due to the extra length of the block. I looked at one with a 5.7 when I had my 1994 182 with 4.3lx. The one with the 5.7 did not have as much room between the backseat and swivel chairs.
Cory Heitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
Bill Burns
Chicago Crownie

Here's a guy on the Team Crownline site with a 5.7 and Bravo3 in a 182
http://www.teamcrownline.com/photos/...ture20005.aspx
1937 Ford 2DR Slantback Sedan Street Rod
Retired !!
Bill Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
Divrdown

I guess I should say that I do not want to have to rebuild the back half of the boat so I can fit the 5.7. I have the 2 jump seats that convert to the sun pad on the dog box style engine cover. Also my fuel tank comes up to the edge of the stringers where the longer engine would have to go. Would love to do the conversion but its a little more work than I can do. Besides the construction I would need new carb, intake, exhaust, and electronics.

As for the vortec heads the valve covers say Vortec and I want to confirm that with the casting numbers on the heads. According to the shop they started using the Vortec heads on the 4.3 as early as 1993 & 93-95 used the 12 bolt intake, the 5.7 didnt convert to Vortec until 96. I just want to make sure that I am getting the correct block and heads so everything I have will work (oil pan, intake, and all the brackets for the power steering and alternator, water pump fit on the front that bolt up to the heads or block.
Thanks
Old 02-19-2009, 07:13 AM   #8
moorekh

your right about your heads, I had a 95 S-10 truck w/ vortec heads and old intake.

Moore Crown
moorekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
Dave McCalley
266 BR

Kerry is correct on model years. The 96 Crownline could have been manufactured as early as June-July as that is when boat model years change.
Dave McCalley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
John Tomlinson

Sounds like a wise choice. You would more than likely have had to change the gearing in your drive to compensate for all the additional Hp.